Building the best product possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Please take these comments as constructive. With a new product from a company that is new to product design and manufacturing, we hope to see improvements in future versions/releases.

In another post there was a complaint about not being able to push the buttons with thick 5mm gloves on. Many of us dive cold water, and a cold hand/finger may find pushing the buttons very hard, especially with no feeling in said finger.

I find the short USB cable to be a pain, especially since I use a laptop often in my lap. It would be hanging from the front of my desktop if plugged in there to charge. I understand you will probably be offering it with the longer cable to help control the squelch when plugged into a computer. Someone mentioned it is the same connector as some Blackberry's?

We have heard there is a new case being manufactured. I would be curious to see one since I still haven't figured out how I am going to carry it long term. For now it will probably be clipped off into my left pocket, utilizing cave line and a bolt snap tied to the lid. What about offering different options for diver attachment points? Personally I do not think I would trust the metal clip currently on it to keep it attached to my scuba kit being drug into and around my boat (Probably going to remove the metal clip currently installed for cleanliness in my pocket, since it is a suicide type clip). Nor do I want it dangling by clipping the radio off to my BC anywhere. Since I dive a BP/W with a can light, my preference would be to store it directly behind my can light on the 2" waist harness, held in place by the can light which is held in place by a buckle. In other words what about offering possibly a bolt on, or cast in solid mount 2" slot?

Seems like somewhere on this page Nautilus Lifeline Support Registration there should be a link to get the MMSI number from BoatUS with the "how to" write up from another thread found in this forum. Following the instructions was pretty straight up for getting the MMSI number.

The interface software is not laid out properly as you can see in the photo below it is impossible to see what channels are set. Every page has areas where words are cut off too. I set the channels with no issue and assume they held although I can not see them.

Nautilus Lifeline.jpg

Hopefully through feedback from users you can quickly learn and improve even more. Best wishes to much success!

Peter
Thank you
This is great stuff and very much appreciated.
I can address some of your suggestions. Other comments will require more thought and headscratching and take some time to implement.

Gotcha on the cold water diving glove issue. We are based in Vancouver, BC and know all about cold water. We've been working on a solution to this. The challenge is combining durability, watertight integrity and ease of use. We had a problem with fatigue cracks on the buttons during the test phase and had to increase the thickness of the rubber around the button. it's a compromise solution that now has a life cycle of 9,000 "presses" in temperature extremes without cracking but makes the button harder to press. we've been working on other ideas - primarily different materials and also changing the cross-section of the internal "grooving" - but have not found the right answer yet.

We now have long usb cables in stock. Please feel free to drop us an email info@nautiluslifeline.com and we'll ship you a long one with our compliments.

Squelch issue is solved. We've been working on "auto squelch" for months and the beta firmware is available by uploading latest firmware update from our website. It's been in field testing for the last couple of weeks and is working really, really well. hoping to make it a critical update firmware release within the week. terrrific if you could try it out.

Would a "screw type" carabiner clip be of interest to you?? appreciate your comment about the suicide clip. The pouch works well now. tooling up a 2" slot is doable. if you look closely at the back of the lifeline you'll see that the present clip slides into a receptacle. This was deliberate on my part with the intent of being able to incorporate other attachment options simply by sliding into the receptacle ie. gear retractor, etc.

Let me see what I can do on the software issues.

Thank you very for the good wishes. We'll do our very best..
Sincerely
Mike

Mike: As a future development, have you considered a stick-like form factor? I envision something in the 1¼" diameter x about 22" range. It would depend on a well-designed holster that would mount on the cylinder. The antenna could be in the top, display just above the handle area, and buttons on the side or bottom. It “should” improve range by getting the antenna higher, be easier to hold, and could be made to float antenna up.

We've been working on a solution to this. The challenge is combining durability, watertight integrity and ease of use. We had a problem with fatigue cracks on the buttons during the test phase and had to increase the thickness of the rubber around the button. it's a compromise solution that now has a life cycle of 9,000 "presses" in temperature extremes without cracking but makes the button harder to press. we've been working on other ideas - primarily different materials and also changing the cross-section of the internal "grooving" - but have not found the right answer yet.
Could just making the top of the button bigger resolve the issue? Or would it cause more issues by increasing possible side loading?

We now have long usb cables in stock. Please feel free to drop us an email info@nautiluslifeline.com and we'll ship you a long one with our compliments.
I think I will take you up on that. Thank you :)

Squelch issue is solved. We've been working on "auto squelch" for months and the beta firmware is available by uploading latest firmware update from our website. It's been in field testing for the last couple of weeks and is working really, really well. hoping to make it a critical update firmware release within the week.
Awesome! Could you please put a post in your forum when that update is released?

Would a "screw type" carabiner clip be of interest to you??
Not for me. I use either a stainless double ender, or a stainless bolt snap of varying sizes depending upon application tied off to the item. Diving in a kelp forest I don't want anything unnecessary dangling from my kit, so the Lifeline must mount out of the way.

appreciate your comment about the suicide clip.
Should have said it could trap line, which in my pocket could be very possible since my finger spool with SMB are kept in my left pocket, where I plan to store the Lifeline.

The pouch works well now.
Is there a picture available of the new pouch showing the cord, along with the back, and the patch of velcro at the pocket? The website only has a single photo. I would just like to know what I am getting for my $35.00, and how it mounts

tooling up a 2" slot is doable. if you look closely at the back of the lifeline you'll see that the present clip slides into a receptacle. This was deliberate on my part with the intent of being able to incorporate other attachment options simply by sliding into the receptacle ie. gear retractor, etc.
I like your thinking!

Thank you very for the good wishes. We'll do our very best..
After the unit I have now has proven itself we will pick up a second one.

Mike: As a future development, have you considered a stick-like form factor? I envision something in the 1¼" diameter x about 22" range.
You want a flute? :D

It would depend on a well-designed holster that would mount on the cylinder.
For me I don't want anything mounted to my tank for entrapment reasons. I have enough trouble slamming thru the kelp forests on a scooter, and not trailing the length of the stalk to the end off my manifold, at which point the bulb thumps me in the head.

I attached a larger than preferred bolt snap, just because it is what I have, and removed the suicide clip. Screwdriver didn't work but a sharp hooked pick snuck under the clip and allowed it to release.

Attachments

• Lifeline.jpg
    Lifeline.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 577
Ditto no hooking to the tank (Sorry, Akimbo). If I am needing this thing, I don't want something I have to tell a buddy how to operate 'cause it's on my tank.

Ditto no hooking to the tank (Sorry, Akimbo). If I am needing this thing, I don't want something I have to tell a buddy how to operate 'cause it's on my tank.

That’s why the concept would depend on a well-designed holster that would mount on the cylinder. You would need to be able to reach back and release it as well as re-holster it. It isn’t that hard. I have used similar items for tubular devices over the years without difficulty.

Adding 18" to the antenna height would make a huge range difference in rough seas. It also doesn’t position the mic pointing up so it can fill with water while using it.

The mic must be somewhere near your mouth and the antenna is ideally as high off the water as possible. The antenna could remain inside the tube so there is no need to open that end. The mic could be on or near the bottom. Buttons could be magnetic so they could be exposed to pressure. All you would have to do is open the pressure resistant cap that protects the mic.

Placing the batteries in the bottom end and carefully managing weight and volume would result in a unit that floats antenna-up and transmit a DCS signal even if you pass out. The current unit would likely fall in the water or to the bottom if you unclipped it.

Peter’s entanglement concern is valid and could be virtually mitigated by a well-designed holster.

If the holster worked really well, having a flash-light mode and possibly a strobe mode might also be worth considering — for normal and emergency use. At that point, you start to consider what else can a stick be useful for… sorry, I can’t play a flute. :wink:

Reactions: Jax
…I attached a larger than preferred bolt snap, just because it is what I have, and removed the suicide clip. Screwdriver didn't work but a sharp hooked pick snuck under the clip and allowed it to release.

I’m not comfortable with just holding it untendered since it is a sinker. I would consider at least putting a bungee wrist loop on it. It is large enough that it isn’t that easy to grip with gloves, especially if there are other problems demanding your attention.

The pouch does fit the radio well and keeps it from bouncing around compared to hanging from a D-ring. The coiled lanyard looks like the same thing that tethers pens to the counter in a grocery check-out line. It stretches out about 24" and has a small aluminum carbineer that fits the molded loop where your bolt snap is secured. There is a small Nylon webbing loop sewn to the bottom-inside it attaches to and you can access it through a hole between the elastic side panels and the bottom. You can tie most anything to it so I will try replacing it with something more substantial.

I also would prefer the belt-loop on the pouch be sewn at both ends rather than a snap on one end. I appreciate that it make it much easier to attach to your harness, but I don’t trust the snap enough. I will modify it and let you know if anything is an improvement.

I’m not comfortable with just holding it untendered since it is a sinker. I would consider at least putting a bungee wrist loop on it. It is large enough that it isn’t that easy to grip with gloves, especially if there are other problems demanding your attention.
Good point. I can clip it off to one of my chest d-rings once removed from my pocket (I usually keep a double ender on my right chest d-ring for attaching my light head facing down, that would extend the length), or clip it to one of my wrist mounted compass/gauge bungees too.

I also would prefer the belt-loop on the pouch be sewn at both ends rather than a snap on one end. I appreciate that it make it much easier to attach to your harness, but I don’t trust the snap enough. I will modify it and let you know if anything is an improvement.
If you have any capability of posting some pics please do. I still have no idea how the case mounts onto the webbing.

Peter: Here are some photos of the pouch before I attempt any modifications. The first thing I will do is remove the chrome plated clip on the back of the radio once I can get the channels to change. The clip is magnetic so it will rust. I also can’t see using the clip which makes it bulker to hold.

Nautilus Lifeline Pouch

I think the coiled lanyard is intended to be on the inside like in the first photo. I put it outside for the other photos so you could see it better. The belt-loop on the back of the pouch is held by a small square of Velcro in addition to the snap, which is hard to see due to the black-on-black contrast. There is a plastic suicide clip on the back of the pouch plus a thin elastic loop, the intent of which escapes me.

The pouch is well made. The flap is held shut by Velcro. I expect that the pouch will be quite serviceable as-is. It should be noted that I am an incurable tinkerer and frequently dive in harsher environments than many recreational divers.

Attachments

• Nautilus Lifeline 01.jpg
    Nautilus Lifeline 01.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Nautilus Lifeline 02.jpg
    Nautilus Lifeline 02.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Nautilus Lifeline 03.jpg
    Nautilus Lifeline 03.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Nautilus Lifeline 04.jpg
    Nautilus Lifeline 04.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Nautilus Lifeline 05.jpg
    Nautilus Lifeline 05.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 235
Firmware 0.52 (beta) fixed channel switching. The metal belt clip was removed and feels much better in the hand.

Suggestion for Mike: Because the buttons are a hard to push and there is no tactile feedback, have you considered making a click noise come out of the speaker when buttons make contact? I have no idea if it would require a hardware change or could be done in software.

Back
Top Bottom