Building a Transparent Pressurize cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAFETY WARNING

Be very cautious when using plastic housings rated for internal water pressure. The issue is failure mode. A crack will drop the pressure instantly when the system contains all water (virtually no gas). Plastic pressure vessels containing gas will explode on failure due to expansion and creates little bits of shrapnel.

This is why OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration in the US) prohibits using PVC pipe of air service.

The safe solution is to fill the filter housing with water and pressurize it with a small hand-operated water pump, NOT with air pressure.

Plastics used in internally pressurized systems that are designed for gas service have much greater safety margins and quality requirements than for water.
That may rate a sticky somewhere.

I use one of these:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiqGSZ6SRUH3oi6THhf4S0J8927Tyq3CpdHOkcgBbxoI-xJ76YTw.jpg

with a pair of theez:

il_570xN.801493808_temo.jpg

Th
Filter containers like this are rated with a working pressure of 250psi:
10 Inch Clear Filter Housing Frp Vessel Transparent Active Carbon Filter Cylinder - Buy Frp Vessel,Active Carbon Filter Cylinder,Clear Filter Housing Product on Alibaba.com
View attachment 486609

If you can use something smaller, you can get glass tubing like this Hi-Pressure Clear Tubular Glass 1″ OD | Gage Glass that's rated to 300psi.

Google for "transparent pressure vessel" and you'll find tons of businesses manufacturing and selling scientific equipment like this.
Thanks for the Information. However, I would like to build a custom product and want to test first as a protobuild.

Filter containers like this are rated with a working pressure of 250psi:
10 Inch Clear Filter Housing Frp Vessel Transparent Active Carbon Filter Cylinder - Buy Frp Vessel,Active Carbon Filter Cylinder,Clear Filter Housing Product on Alibaba.com
View attachment 486609

If you can use something smaller, you can get glass tubing like this Hi-Pressure Clear Tubular Glass 1″ OD | Gage Glass that's rated to 300psi.

Google for "transparent pressure vessel" and you'll find tons of businesses manufacturing and selling scientific equipment like this.
Thank you!, I Looked in to it but most of them all small size.. i would like to custom build. All i am worried is choosing the right material

SAFETY WARNING

Be very cautious when using plastic housings rated for internal water pressure. The issue is failure mode. A crack will drop the pressure instantly when the system contains all water (virtually no gas). Plastic pressure vessels containing gas will explode on failure due to expansion and creates little bits of shrapnel.

This is why OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration in the US) prohibits using PVC pipe for air service.

The safe solution is to fill the filter housing with water and pressurize it with a small hand-operated water pump, NOT with air pressure.

Plastics used on internally pressurized systems that are designed for gas service have much greater safety margins and quality requirements than for water.
I tried the same way and tested using Water for cylinder built by Acrylic material but it failed. Now I have to look for an alternative material.

I have noticed gravity getting stronger as I get older but had not noticed the atmosphere getting a lot heavier. Did you mean 200 meters.
300 psi is the design requirement

Yes the cylinder needs to be transparent.

Can I ask some questions.
What is the purpose of the design.
What is the intended life and required pressure cycles.
What diameter are we talking about? (length would be helpful too.)
Why do the walls of this pressure vessel need to be transparent?
How quickly do you need to open and close said pressure vessel

A depth gauge testing pot design is one thing a pressure vessel for human occupancy quite another.
Both made from cast acrylic. Iain

I think you want to build something like that: Dive Computer pressure Testing by Dive Repairs

Unfortunately it's difficult to find details about the pressure strength of acrylic glas maybe you could contact some companies who are selling it and keep us posted :)

Definitely a great project I'd be interested in.

Back
Top Bottom