Building a technical BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacobf123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to build a backplate and a wing setup without spending too much money and was looking for some guidance in doing so as this is the first time I'll be doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry yeah I mean a backplate and wing

I presume that tech means BPW for doubles, right?

Save time, money and effort, get trained first.

Easiest is to look at a package from DiveRightinScuba or Divegearexpress. They are full Bp/W set ups for $300-$380. Also, look at DeepSeaSupply and give Tobin a call (Cool_Hardware52).

If you are looking at buying it piecemeal and want high quality items (although the above are decent quality and good value) then you just need to set a budget and wait to find items on the classifieds.

When I built my set up, I got a Oxycheq doubles wing for 118.50, a Oxycheq Singles wing for $140. I have seen Halcyon wings for $150-$250 depending on how used they were and demand at the moment.

One problem when buying used has to do with shipping cost..especially the SS plate. Might be easier just to get a DGX SS plate for $75 and get free shipping.

List of items you will need for a Single Tank Bp/W
1. Back plate (Stainless Steel or Aluminum)
2. Wing (30-40lb of lift)
3. 11 ft of 2 inch webbing (might want to double this so you have extra in case you screw up)
4. D-rings, slides, belt buckles, rubber plastic slides to hold excess webbing and help secure backup lights--you can buy individually, although for your first time it is easier to buy a kit from one of the above mentioned websites
5. Crotch Strap--I get mine from Divegearexpress. They are great and a good quality.
6. Cam bands/STA--some plates require a single tank adapter, mine only use cam bands

There are a ton of videos on line about how to thread a backplate. If you are patient and don't mind waiting you can get some nice deals on line. If this was me, I would wait and look for a good deal on a quality wing (Oxycheq, Halcyon-here might be a few others, but those are the ones I want) and get the rest of the stuff new (including SS plate) from Divegearexpress.com. If you absolutely have to have your set up now....go to the first three sites I mentioned above.

Save time, money and effort, get trained first.

Are you saying the OP needs training before he is qualified to set up his own harness?

Also, a backplate and wing IS a BCD. It just isn't a jacket style BCD.

Are you saying the OP needs training before he is qualified to set up his own harness?

Also, a backplate and wing IS a BCD. It just isn't a jacket style BCD.

Decompression is pointing out the OP lack of understanding with the way he is asking his questions.

BCD implies a standard BC--jacket or back inflate, I would never see BCD and think "BP/w"

The OP posts mentions nothing of singles/doubles or tech, but the title has the word "technical".....several posters have been confused as to what he is looking for a wing for doubles, singles? I myself wasn't sure and assumed he wanted the singles set up.

While this forum and information on the web can help, the OP really needs to find some divers that are diving a bp/w to help him through some of the minor details of set up and personal preference when it comes to bp/w's...this is the training that decompression was referring to, and he is not wrong in this case.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 08:12 AM ----------

Edit--just saw that he wants doubles. In which case, change the wing to a doubles wing and my first post stands.

In terms of the "training", Jacob you are in NJ there are tons of backmounted doubles divers. They might have good deals on some of their wings and can show you all of the ropes for setting up and diving doubles.

Back
Top Bottom