Building a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How so? I pull 1 pin and my pony is off. I then swap tanks and put the pony back on with the single pin. The system used makes or breaks it.
Fair, and I agree that it probably all comes down to the system. As I said I've never used a back mount so have no experience with it, but I did observe a chap spending a lot of time fiddling with re-mounting their pony after tank change. It could be they were just not experienced with it.

Fair, and I agree that it probably all comes down to the system. As I said I've never used a back mount so have no experience with it, but I did observe a chap spending a lot of time fiddling with re-mounting their pony after tank change. It could be they were just not experienced with it.
Those are the ones I watch when we drop so I can avoid them.

There are good pony mounts and crappy ones. There are also cheap divers and safe divers and a few cheap+safe divers. This leads to crappy pony mounts that are a big hassle.

But slinging a pony is the cheapest option of all. A couple of big bolt snaps and some nylon rope with a little bungie cord and you are good to go!

I’ve read a lot here and I’m leaning toward an inverted 19cf bottle on a back mount using a Shark or Quick Draw. Back mount because I’m pretty new and not ready to task manage a slung bottle.
@Litefoot,

My back is nearly seven decades old. Fortunately, it is still quite healthy and doesn't complain when I wear BM baby doubles (LP50's) which weigh about the same (kit full is ~50 lbs) as a mid-sized single + pony bottle. However, it's possible that in a few more years I likely will prefer to wear a single + pony in such a way that I can remove the pony, along with my weight belt, before I exit the water (especially!), either climbing a ladder or walking out, or when I'm portaging or schlepping gear. Something for you to consider?

rx7diver

I truly do not understand this logic. Are you saying that since switching tanks is a hassle, then we should just leave the old tank and skip the second dive? Of course not, unclipping the pony during a tank swap is so simple that I don't even notice the extra effort. The choice to dive or not to dive a pony has nothing to do with tank swapping, it has to do with risk and risk mitigation. Does adding a bit of de-fog to your mask during interval cause hassle, so next time go without and see how that works for ya. I just don't get the logic? Maybe I don't see any of the SI processes as hassles, but rather part of the diving process.
I think you maybe misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't advocating against using a pony, just saying that clipping side mount looks easier than back mounting it. Maybe I'm wrong! Not using redundant air is not even an option where I dive. It's a requirement on all charter boats.

It's a requirement on all charter boats.
DANG !! We can't even get people to clip a 'required' $10 cheapo skinny 3ft SMB without bitching up a storm on the boats. I'll be hiding in the bathroom from the full boat epic meltdown tantrum the day that regulation happens in Florida!!
PS>I ride my pony every dive

My personal analysis ... YMMV - free on the internet and worth everything that you paid for it :wink:

I believe in a slung pony with the 2nd stage stowed on the pony - i.e. stage bottle style.

• The 2nd stage is in a known location when needed. If for some reason it is knocked loose, the first stage is right there at your front/side - tracing the hose and retrieving the 2nd is straightforward.
  • When you are diving with others around (even if you are nominally solo on that dive) your main reg system is "standard" (primary and secondary, whichever of the variations.) No reconfiguration required and you can donate and breathe off of your main tank(s). This gives you more options depending on gas remaining in the main tank. Also allows you to transfer 2nds in case of minor misbehavior while continuing the dive. (Ex breathing from a bubbling {mildly freeflowing} secondary or coming off a mildly wet-breathing primary)
  • It does not interfere with tank racks on boats.
  • It can be easily clipped/unclipped as a complete unit in the water and handed down/up for entries/exits.
  • Valve operation and status checks are easy and can be performed with either hand. (My ponies have Vindicators on them so it is just a glance.)
  • If you rent a pony (AL40 anyway) while traveling it will likely be configured with usable stage rigging on it, or you can put it on in 2-minutes by just carrying a lightweight stage-strap set and some retaining bands.
  • If you move on to tech type stuff, slinging/using stage/deco bottles is the same to incremental rather than something completely new.
  • In certain circumstances, the possibility of handing off a pony opens up options that can improve outcomes. Probably rare but not inconceivable.
  • In case of severe entanglement, one may be able to do an emergency ascent leaving the main rig and just going up on the bottle. Also probably rare but not inconceivable.
  • With a sufficiently large "auxilliary" bottle (MAYBE an AL40 on very shallow dives, but certainly an AL80) you are entering a realm where using it as a stage for both planned gas and redundancy becomes a possibility - essentially a sort of independent doubles. This can be a net win giving you even longer dives AND redundancy for the same costs as the premium for just larger primary tanks. It does require preplanning for your dive profile and maintaining sufficient gas in both tanks to safely complete the dive(s).

I clip my pony stage-style and then use a bungee to tuck it up along my side. Super easy and fully secure. It pretty much just disappears from a management perspective. With a little forethought as to were things are put on my rig, it isn't in the way.

DANG !! We can't even get people to clip a 'required' $10 cheapo skinny 3ft SMB without bitching up a storm on the boats. I'll be hiding in the bathroom from the full boat epic meltdown tantrum the day that regulation happens in Florida!!
PS>I ride my pony every dive
Redundant gas source is pretty much the default requirement locally. Manifolded doubles or independent doubles (I consider main tank and pony a special case I think of as Asymmetric Independent Doubles.)

Ya'll have given me a lot to think about. My configuration now is Deep6 Signature long hose with a necklaced secondary stage 2. I'd say that at least 80% of my diving will be freshwater shore diving without the SI issues that come up on a boat. I did read @NW Dive Dawg account of mixing up his primary 2nd with the pony 2nd stage. That was scary! And yes, there are some very well-defined thermoclines in my lake.

I think I’ll keep the SP regs together and make a backup reg set as I originally intended. I’ll decide on side or back mount later. I guess for now I’ll get a bottle ordered and try to find a simple reliable 1st like the MK2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom