Building a personal fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so it looks like we're on the right track but were just running 1 bank. DO you guys use the CO card indicators for when to change filters?

Not me.

I change my filters based on elapsed time. Looking at the volume that I pump annually and the filter sizes, I predicted that this would work for me.

I have a small factory filter that I change more frequently than recommended by the manufacturer (based on temp and humidity). Downstream from that, I have a Lawrence Factor filter tower that I change annually. (The LF filter tower is overkill.) This past year I did air quality and dew point testing at two points before and after filter changes. (The two points were downstream from the factory filter and downstream from both filters.)

These air quality and dew point tests confirmed that my method works fine. Additionally, I inspect all my own cylinders and to date there have been no corrosion issues in my steel tanks, more proof that it is working well.

The extra filtration actually produces really clean oxygen-compatible air at my fill whips.

Many people use a moisture card downstream from the filters to determine when to change the filters, not a CO card.

Thoughts on breaking up the 4 2400psi bottles into 2 banks? (pro's / con's ? )

Well I'm no expert, but I am not sure you would gain much from this. What advantage do you see?

Hunter

Well I'm no expert either, but just wondered if anyone thought there would be a benefit. (for discussion purposes).

For example, I'm not sure if having your largest bank being a lower PSI set of cylinders is better, or having your highest PSI bank have the most cylinders. (Of course I'm sure you're using what's in your diagram because it's what you've already got/obtained.)

Well I'm no expert either, but just wondered if anyone thought there would be a benefit. (for discussion purposes).

For example, I'm not sure if having your largest bank being a lower PSI set of cylinders is better, or having your highest PSI bank have the most cylinders. (Of course I'm sure you're using what's in your diagram because it's what you've already got/obtained.)

Well the vast majority of cuft that you will put in tanks will be at lower pressures - from 500 to 2500. No sense in wasting high pressure volume on low pressure filling. Most compressors "like" to run between 2000 and 3000 psi. By having your highest volume at low pressure you are running your compressor in it's sweet spot for most of the cuft you are pumping. Not to mention that the lower pressure bottles are much cheaper. You get lots more bang for your buck.

Hunter

Well the vast majority of cuft that you will put in tanks will be at lower pressures - from 500 to 2500. No sense in wasting high pressure volume on low pressure filling. Most compressors "like" to run between 2000 and 3000 psi. By having your highest volume at low pressure you are running your compressor in it's sweet spot for most of the cuft you are pumping. Not to mention that the lower pressure bottles are much cheaper. You get lots more bang for your buck.

Hunter

I agree. You'll find that the best part of having your own station is being able to fill at any time (as opposed to having to run your compressor to fill. I have 8 bank bottles (and growing). 4 of them are 3500PSI bottles (which I fill to about 3800 psi) and the other 4 (which I split into 2 seperate banks) are 4500 PSI (which I fill to about 4800). Thus, I have three sets of banks on three gauges. When I fill, I essentially cascade from the low to mid to high pressure banks. You want to always have a lot of pressure in your highest psi bank to ensure that you get a good fill. Also when you crank up the generator, you want to fill your banks from highest to lowest. Imagine if you needed full 3000 psi fills and you only have 3000 in your bank.

Also, lower pressure bank bottles are easier to come by (and they are cheaper too). The higher pressure ones are harder to find and more $$. If you do most of your fills from many LP bottles, then you won't need as many HP bottles.

Mike - Do you remember - or anyone else - The gentlemen over on TDS who had the fill station everyone was gaga over? I know the gentlemen has passed but remember seeing someone had "saved" the plans for all to see . . .

Yes i was oogling that for a while, much more complex than we want to build. We are going to fill probably 8 al80's for right now afternoon/night before diving, then maby 6 al80's and 2 hp100's because im looking to buy 2 soon. Even if we can get 5 or 6 of those tanks filled the night before, By the time we eat breakfast get the boat and coolers ready and loaded the tanks should be about done.

coldsmoke,

Good setup. Very similar to my setup. ( I have 4 2400 & 4 4500 bottles) I would suggest that you add pressure relief valves for the appropriate pressure on each of the banks.

omar

Mike - Do you remember - or anyone else - The gentlemen over on TDS who had the fill station everyone was gaga over? I know the gentlemen has passed but remember seeing someone had "saved" the plans for all to see . . .

Think Denton's was cool - check this one out:
attachment.php

from this thread:
The Deco Stop

coldsmoke,

Good setup. Very similar to my setup. ( I have 4 2400 & 4 4500 bottles) I would suggest that you add pressure relief valves for the appropriate pressure on each of the banks.

omar

Good point. Mine's a work in progress. I'm the only one filling so I'm not super concerned. But as it grows those will be added.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom