Building a Comprehensive Asia Dive Plan: Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello and thanks in advance for reading and advising on this post as it is somewhat complicated. My wife and I (both divers) are lucky enough to be traveling across Asia for an extended period of time (9 months)! Now that we have left the cold of China and Nepal we are working our way through SE Asia and trying to coordinate some of the fantastic diving that is around here. We want to make sure we hit the best (or at least the really good stuff) but need advice from people that have dove extensively here to help us decide where to go in each country given the options of what we will dive later on. Specifically, we will be arriving in Thailand in about 2 months and planned to dive the Phuket area. Our itinerary also includes Indonesia, Australia and South Pacific arriving there in the Feb-April time frame.

So, given that we will be in all of thouse countries-- we would like recommendations on:

1. A dive plan (locations) to dive Thailand, Indonesia, Australia & Solomon/Cook Islands, Guam and Samoa. By dive plan I mean hypothetically something like: skip Phuket since the reefs in Sulawesi are better instead dive XXX which is 10 miles away and then go to YYY for the walls. Make sense-- not just a list of the best sites, but a real dive plan :wink:

2. We don't really want to get too far of the beaten track as our trip is not just about diving, but we are willing to make an effort to go somewhere great.

3. We would like to maybe do a liveaboard in some places-- if we only do it in one or two countries which are the most important to do it in.

4. If we skip the great barrier reef (and Australia all together) is that okay?

5. We'd like to dive somewhere at least once where we have the chance to see really big stuff.

I know that lots of this depends on personal preference, so let us know what you think and why. Thanks in advance.

Seth

If I were to go back again (which I hope to), some of my choices would be:

The Similans, Richelieu Rock and the Mergui Archipelago/Burma Banks on the west coast of Thailand and Myanmar (Burma). I'd return to Koh Phi Phi because I enjoyed the diving and the people I met there (before the tsunami hit). In Australia I'd want to dive the west coast (Ningaloo Reef) and do a liveaboard in the Coral Sea (I had a great opportunity to do so last trip, but dove the GBR instead). My buddy Andrea says the outer Cook islands are great (she and her former Kiwi BF wanted to open a dive op there). I only had a brief layover when I was there. Have never dived Indonesia, Guam or Samoa.

Pay attention to the different monsoon seasons (as in Thailand's west coast vs the Gulf) so you can time your visit accordingly.

Oh, and take me with!

The moonsoon ( and rain and visibility) is not something thatyou can avoid: from now to february , it's not the moment to dive in Indonesia or sulawesi, or east part of thailand. I don't know really how flexible is your trip (nor your time and money ), but beginnig by thailand in January i will do a 4 days liveaboard to Similans/richelieu rock; makea jump to pulau weh ( Banda Aceh :lumbalumba dive op ) - or the other way round. Go to philippines ( Manilla: from there Puerto galera 3/4 days - white beach not sabang Pacific divers as dive op ( include Day trip to isola verde) from PG a cruise to Apo reef and back to manilla . From manilla go to Palau ( US micronesia) and maybe yap. and then south to australia

I wouldn't leave out malaysia either. There're lots of excellent dive sites and very inexpensive too.

hallboy:
it's not the moment to dive in Indonesia or sulawesi
hallboy, I'm looking at going somewhere else besides the Philippines (where I normally spend the holidays) and I was looking at Sangalaki, but now your comment about not the moment to dive Indo has me worried. From what I've read I didn't think the "rainy season" effected that area too much...am I misinformed?

Thanks,
Drew

About Sangalaki, you should consider Derawan that is exactly the same area and with a better price; but if you can afford Sangalaki, and being in china ( ?) why don't you try Palau; theres flight from Taipeh.Itsnot for sure, but imagine that you go to Sangalaki and get 3 days of absolute rain... I just think that vacations are enough important to be careful with the weather. You ccould go and everything will be fine.
Or not.

hallboy,

Thanks, I fleeting thought of Palau earlier but then decided to try Indonesia. My two concerns would be getting a visa for my girlfriend (she's Filipina and you wouldn't believe how much trouble we had going to Cyprus a few years back) and room availablilty. Having said that, what would you recommend in Palau?

Drew

My recomendations as follows :

Thailand:
Richelieu Rock and Similans - Liveaboard off Phuket
Hin Daeng - Liveaboard off Phuket
Anemone Reef, Shark Point King Cruiser _ Shore-based off PHI2 or Phuket

Malaysia:
Sipadan - Highly recommended.
Land-based activities
Layang - Big stuff - Hammerheads
Not before April
Redang/Tenggol - Good easy diving

Indonesia:
Bali - Good diving + land based activities
Manado - Excellent Diving
Sangalaki - Mantas !!! Logistics ??
Raja Ampat/Komodos - LOB

Micronesia :
Palau - Costly but tops !!!

There is only 1 ways to do palau with not an exagerate budget: stay on peliliu: there is 2 diving center one with a husband and wife that rent rooms ( Great dm, a blakck guy) but The wife is so so and the rooms also. The other is asiatics people and the cheaper of all. If you have more money try to charter Eclipse ( a sail boat ) you could have the all boat for the price of a liveaboard to share with 6 to 20 people

hallboy:
The moonsoon ( and rain and visibility) is not something thatyou can avoid: from now to february , it's not the moment to dive in Indonesia or sulawesi, or east part of thailand.
Sorry to bomb this thread, but since I'm planning to dive in Menjangan in late December, would that be a good idea, hallboy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom