Question Budget --> Midrange --> High End Mask Feature Differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MW_Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My mask has lasted over 20 years and I'm in the market for a new mask. I'm astonished by the price range of masks in terms of budget (<$50 USD), mid range to high end masks. Assuming the mask fits, don't fog and made of temepred glass, I'm curious what some of the feature differences (beyond prescription lenses), are that lead to these differences.

I can understand some of the pricing differences on other pieces of equipment such as a BCD, regulator or dive computer due to the technology used but is there a major feature difference in a "budget" mask vs a high end mask to warrant purchasing one over the other?

Thanks!

Interesting thoughts and a great research question. Perhaps if you have time, you could check the data sheets or specifications of the masks you are most interested in and provide an objective comparison. This exercise may answer your questions and share light on the reason behind the price/cost/difference between masks.

This has definitely been pondered before, and I don't think there is a clear answer. It has been said that the best mask is the one that you feel fits your face best. For my own personal data point, I will say I like my Hollis M1 ($115) and my Dive Gear Express Ultra View Frameless Mask ($45) pretty much equally. I use the DGX mask as a backup to the Hollis, but I could just as well do it the other way around.

For my own personal data point, I will say I like my Hollis M1 ($115) and my Dive Gear Express Ultra View Frameless Mask ($45) pretty much equally. I use the DGX mask as a backup to the Hollis, but I could just as well do it the other way around.

I, too, have both of these masks (started with the M1 and purchased the Ultra View as a backup). I have since switched them around, with the Ultra View as my primary and the M1 as my backup. Both have held up exceptionally well and are very comfortable. Sometimes you just pay more for a brand name vs. actually getting any useful features to justify it.

I also purchased a Scubapro Frameless mask for pennies on the dollar to give it a try and can say I still prefer the Ultra View. More comfortable and better field of vision.

A lot of cheap gear is made in the far east and one factory produces several brands pretty much out the same machines and moulds. The clever answer as Lorenzoid says is the best mask is the one that fits the best. I have one (Decathlon) which I bought a long time back as a spare for backup and it still works fine and fits OK. They were the cheapest I could find and I figured would at some point get broken in a drysuit pocket and beaten up on my cave diver training. My main branded mask is a bit better and (slightly) more comfortable but the cheap one is good enough to dive in all the same. The latest 2024 (UK) price for it is GBP9. (USD11.50) I have owned this mask for at least 16 years.

You would have to work hard to persuade me to spend much more than twice that for a branded version.

higher end will generally use higher clarity glass, fancier buckles, softer silicone, and at least put some effort into QC. but most of the price difference is branding and markup rather than BOM differences.

Go for fit. As long as it has tempered glass and a silicone skirt, it's good enough. Everything else is marketing.

To give an example, I use a TUSA mask that was in the middle of their scuba range when I first got one 20 years ago. The same model with no changes has since been demoted to their snorkel line and the price dropped by more than 50% even though it's now packaged with a snorkel.

There is no single answer. There have been some very acceptable masks at the lower price end. But in general higher end scuba masks:

1. Clear/optical glass (as opposed to green iron containing float glass)
2. Better and more durable buckles
3. Multi-durometer silicone, soft at the skirt edges
4. Frameless designs
5. Lens coatings
6. Sizes and sometimes multiple fits
7. Says Scubapro or Atomic on it :wink:

Back
Top Bottom