Budget drysuits - Bare Nex-Gen and ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I find myself diving often enough and getting relaxed enough that I get pretty darn cold in the NorCal water. So, I'm doing what I never thought I would: kicking around the idea of buying a drysuit.

Being a man of modest means, my choices are very limited. The most tempting based on what I have read here is the Bare Nex-Gen which I have seen in the $600-650 range. Folks seem to like this suit for what it is, but I'm wondering if there are other drysuits in this price range that I should look at. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone has any strong likes or dislikes on the Nex-Gen, that would be great to hear about too.

Will I have to wear as much weight with the drysuit as I do with wetsuit? (7mm jumpsuit with 5mm core warmer/hood)?

Lastly, I am currently diving a budget 7mm wetsuit (Triple-L). It's a good enough suit for the cost, but it doesn't have wrist/ankle/neck seals like some of the nicer ones. I have never dove in a nice wetsuit with seals. I know getting in a Bare Arctic 7mm with a 7mm hooded core warmer would be a big help, and I could go that route for about $300. But I'm wondering how much of a help it would be. Like would I be warm in 50 degree water, or just not as cold? I find the drysuit appealing because I could hopefully be truly comfortable, even deep. But the simplicity of a wetsuit appeals too.

Would I be better off going with a good wetsuit than a budget drysuit?

Thanks for any opinions. :D

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I know getting in a Bare Arctic 7mm with a 7mm hooded core warmer would be a big help, and I could go that route for about $300. But I'm wondering how much of a help it would be. Like would I be warm in 50 degree water, or just not as cold?

I have that set-up and have been fine for 2 dives in 50F water. I've been down into water as cold as 42F for portions of dives and have been OK there as well.

That being said sinece you already have a 7mm suit for the milder seasons I'd go straight to a drysuit of some configuration.

A buddy just got a 7mm Atlan neoprene suit and I'm eyeing the same. Here is an interesting post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1085846&postcount=15

Pete

If you go the dry suit route don't go diving with the dry suit until you have received proper training for diving with a dry suit. I have several friends that dive with dry suits and some things are quite different with a dry suit.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I find myself diving often enough and getting relaxed enough that I get pretty darn cold in the NorCal water. So, I'm doing what I never thought I would: kicking around the idea of buying a drysuit.

Being a man of modest means, my choices are very limited. The most tempting based on what I have read here is the Bare Nex-Gen which I have seen in the $600-650 range. Folks seem to like this suit for what it is, but I'm wondering if there are other drysuits in this price range that I should look at. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone has any strong likes or dislikes on the Nex-Gen, that would be great to hear about too.

Will I have to wear as much weight with the drysuit as I do with wetsuit? (7mm jumpsuit with 5mm core warmer/hood)?

Lastly, I am currently diving a budget 7mm wetsuit (Triple-L). It's a good enough suit for the cost, but it doesn't have wrist/ankle/neck seals like some of the nicer ones. I have never dove in a nice wetsuit with seals. I know getting in a Bare Arctic 7mm with a 7mm hooded core warmer would be a big help, and I could go that route for about $300. But I'm wondering how much of a help it would be. Like would I be warm in 50 degree water, or just not as cold? I find the drysuit appealing because I could hopefully be truly comfortable, even deep. But the simplicity of a wetsuit appeals too.

Gregg

Humu-
As far as drysuits go, I was wondering the same thing about the Nex-Gen, and I posted on SB about it. You can read about it here:http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116526.

Based on the positive reviews of the suit, and the extremely attractive price, I decided it was a no-brainer. I was concerned about the durability, but members' responses eased my mind. My boyfriend and I each got a Nex-Gen package from divetank.com, they just arrived 2 days ago, and so far we are very happy with the fit and quality.
I dive a 5mm w/ skin wetsuit now, but it's just not cutting it anymore in these cold New England waters!
Good luck with your decision!
Lisa

Once you go dry, you will never go back. It really is that much better. And the only other drysuits that are close to the same price range are usually neoprene drysuits. You want to avoid them. Shell suits (like the next gen) are better.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:

. . . But the simplicity of a wetsuit appeals too.

Gregg

Diving a drysuit is much simpler than the methods, tricks, and combinations involved in trying to stay comfortable in cold water using various combinations of thick neoprene, especially when you factor in remaining comfortable after you get out of the cold water on a cold day!

I have buddies who are diving the Bare NexGen with no problems. Another suit to consider in the economy range is the White's Nexus--around $1K complete with undergarments, rock boots, LP inflator hose, and case. I have dived this one and like it alot.

And as has already been suggested, get some training from a good DS diver. In fact, why not sign up for a DS Specialty class as a way of trying out a suit or 2 before buying? Then once certified you could rent a couple more suits before making the purchase.

theskull

There are tons of threads on this topic. I dive the O'Neill neoprene dry suit. You can buy this brand new for $500 (now). Shell suits offer different advantages and disadvantages to neo suits. When my current suit dies I will buy another. There are better drysuits but they are not worth 2-5 times the cost of the neo.

--Matt

I tested out several drysuits (originally had the DUI TLS350 in mind) but I ultimately went with the Bare Nex Gen, as did two of my buddies. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other suits, but it is extremely durable, and I don't have to worry about it. If I scrape up against a sharp object, I don't panic thinking I may have just damaged my $2000 suit. It's cheap and it keeps you dry. I'm all for it.

I dive cold water and use a Bare Neoprene,its hard to ruin,Dove a next gen and its a sweet suit, factor the cost of undewear you need not to warm for the waters you dive and I think a bare Next gen will work sweet for you! Take a course,and GET A SUIT THAT FITS! FIT FIT FIT!! one thing Bare dose good is they have off the rack sizes that fit most.
Dive safe,
Brad

Back
Top Bottom