Budget Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the number one thing to keep in mind in keeping costs down as mentioned by many before, is avoid the salt water.
Excuuuuuse me... Salt water doesn't cost any more than fresh water. What I think you meant to say was "keep away from power boats."
A trip to the jetties or the Gulf State Park pier or the Whislkey wreck is no more expensive than any eqiuidistant fresh water site, and you'll likely see a whole lot more fish.
:D
Rick

A lot of real talk here, but I'd hate to see any more dive boats for sale. I've lowered my thermostat, bought energy efficient lightbulbs and my truck sits it the driveway a lot more that it used to, but every chance I get I'll be about 15 miles east of the U.S.A.

I'm actually thinking of a small hardbottom inflatable to get to out off to the local ledges. I don't need a Nor-Tech boat to get out to the local reefs and ledges. I've also been thinking of getting a compressor at my house as well, I can't seem to hook up with shops locally when they are open... why on earth does a shop close at 5 or 6 when thats about the time most people are off of work?!

I like the idea of making sure a lunch is packed. Snacks, water, etc., all could be included with that idea.

Well, I've been lurking on this thread and I've almost (ALMOST) decided to sell all (most) of my gear and not dive unless I go to Cozumel or something like that. I really can't afford to drive 3 to 4 hours and dive a few times and drive back. The cost of driving to the coast and getting on a boat just doesn't justify the two dives I'd get in. I'd LOVE to do the Oriskany but, at 145+- dollars, plus the cost of gas to get there and back in my truck, the two rather short dives (gas hog here) I'd do wouldn't be worth it.

There are absolutely no places to dive in MS. (If someone knows of one, please PM me!)

I've considered this for the last few days and I think I may start selling my gear off. I'll keep the minimal gear for the once in two or three month dive I *might* do or the once or twice a year vacation. I hate that it's coming to this but, I just can't do it.

I figured I'd sell my gear and use the money I get for classes and tests to improve my current employment. AKA.. get my certifications and hope to make more so later I can buy my gear again and be able to afford to start diving again.

Either way, keep an eye out in the For Sale sections, I'm seriously considering it.

Michael

Excuuuuuse me... Salt water doesn't cost any more than fresh water. What I think you meant to say was "keep away from power boats."
A trip to the jetties or the Gulf State Park pier or the Whislkey wreck is no more expensive than any eqiuidistant fresh water site, and you'll likely see a whole lot more fish.
Rick

Rick, thanks for the clarification. I didn't make my point very well. You're exactly right, it's riding in the boat that makes it expensive. This is the reason I mentioned kayak diving. It would take the power boat out of the salt water equation.

I do volunteer dives at Spring Lake in Texas. Mainly, its habitat restoration work. Only two gallons of gas away, no entrance fee and they fill my tanks at the end of the day for free. BTW, on a bad day the vis is 40'+ and plenty of fish to watch.

Regarding dive travel, we got rt tickets to Cancun for $20+taxes. In addition, one of my LDS's had a trip to central Mexico for $400, transportation, hotel, and 3 days of diving. Great trip and had a lot of fun diving in some unique and off the map spots. You can still dive pretty inexpensively, if you know where to look for the deals and jump on them early.

... Regarding dive travel, we got rt tickets to Cancun for $20+taxes. ...
Say WHAT?
I want some of that!
Hell, I'll drive from Alabama to Austin for that!
Rick

Rising fuel prices are a wash for me. Weekend trips to the quarry cost about $5 more in gas. My once or twice a year trips to Mexico went up $30 on round trip airfare. On the plus side, my retirement accounts have done well since most of the funds are a little heavy in oil stocks now. Overall, the economy hasn't been as bad as some people would like to think(unless you drive an old tank that gets $#&*^@ gas mileage).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom