Budget backscatter fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any thoughts on an inexpensive way to reduce backscatter with an MX10? Short of using ambient light, I'm not sure what to do other than either shell out the money for a fiber optic link or try to build some sort of flash-diverting mirror.

It's not much, and I'm still learning...
  • always use the strobe (don't depend on the built in flash in other words)
  • get close to your subject
  • in some instances I've had my buddy use their light to shine on the subject

As I said it's not much.... I'm seriously considering the fibre optic gizzmo....

The YS-40 will fire in any F-stop setting, so be sure to NOT use one of the 2 that also fires the internal flash as well. And as always, get close.

will also influence the appearance of backscatter. I have noticed that backscatter is less noticeable on shots with a variegated background.

The mx10 has a flash that is attached to the camera body, and too close. The only way to really eliminate backscatter in any camera is to get the flash away from the lens and at a angle to the subject, unless you are shooting in very clear water. Hope that this helps.

The trigger for the MX10's flash is an optical one. You will find that if light from the built-in strobe can hit the tiny window of the YS40 when you hold it OFF the camera, it will fire. You can make a small deflector from duct tape and some aluminum foil to place over the built-in flash that directs the light up to where you hold the YS40 . It takes a little practice, and the range is somewhat limited, but it works.

Yeah, that's the kind of DIY fix I was hoping for... maybe I can rig something with a length of fiber optic cable from the hobby store. I'll let you know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom