BuddyCall - It should be loud, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got my BuddyCall signaling device in the mail today. After putting it together (a bit tricky, but not too hard), I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sound is really annoying - something that will really grab your attention. Unfortunately, it is very quiet. I think this may be because the batteries that came with the device might be old, and I should go out and get some new ones (needs three round battery things). Before I invest in new batteries, could someone else tell me, is their BuddyCall loud or simply just annoying. If only annoying, then I'll return it. If both loud and annoying (a good thing), I'll go get some new batteries.

It is plenty loud UW for your buddy to hear & recognize it if he is familiar with the sound as it annoys every other diver within about 50 ft who is unfamiliar with the device. If it were any louder, the current wrist strap might not be sufficient. It would require a more secure attachment to prevent it from being tossed overboard by annoyed divers.

I found one at a popular live aboard dive site.

I've never seen this gizmo before, but the few reviews I found were either not good, or so glowing they read like look suspiciously like they were written by someone connected with the product. Anyway, it's going to be hard to judge on the surface if someone will hear it underwater. If it's quiet on the surface, I'd think not. If you decide the problem is the batteries it came with, I would contact the seller for new ones. Some kinds of button cells can be surprisingly expensive and you'd be basically paying to fix something you just bought.

Personally I wouldn't mess with a battery operated thing for attracting a someones attention. I haven't found the air operated ones all that effective either. I carry a large metal carbiner and will use that to bang on my tank if really needed (if you have a knife with a metal butt that will work as well.) Nothing to leak and no batteries to replace. I made a shaker once that had a unique sound and worked better than fancy things too. Mostly, I find tapping someone on the arm or tugging a fin works best. :)

The thing is, it is so quiet, I'm not sure that someone with a hood could even hear it. I mostly bought it for noise on the surface - I have a bad habit of popping up away from the dive boat, and I want to be able to get a boat's attention to try to get me. Thank awap and Damselfish - anyone else have any experience with this?

It doesn't look like the Buddycall was designed for the surface, the advertising doesn't mention surface use at all. If you want something for the surface, such as signaling the boat in an emergency, I would return this and get something like a Dive Alert. They are popular and work very well. In addition, carry a good storm whistle in case you are out of air to operate the Dive Alert - although of course you should never let that happen!

The thing is, it is so quiet, I'm not sure that someone with a hood could even hear it. I mostly bought it for noise on the surface - I have a bad habit of popping up away from the dive boat, and I want to be able to get a boat's attention to try to get me. Thank awap and Damselfish - anyone else have any experience with this?

$50 for a buddy call that is designed for UW use. $5 for a whistle for attracting the boat or others on the surface. The only way I would expect the buddy call to get the boat's attention is if you can throw it far enough, accurately.

I mostly bought it for noise on the surface - I have a bad habit of popping up away from the dive boat, and I want to be able to get a boat's attention to try to get me.

Scrap it and get a whistle, Bulletproof reliable, and some are incredibly loud. Just about the last thing I'd ever consider is depending on some crappy electrical gadget for an emergency device.

I got a pretty good whistle, but I was also looking for some sort of mini-bullhorn. The BuddyCall is supposed to be both UW and above water and was supposed to work like a Dive Alert, but with batteries vice air. Also, the price went down to $39. Ok, so now I'm determined. I'm going to go get the batteries to see if it works any better. If it doesn't, it is going back, and I owe everyone here an adult beverage. If it works, it could be a very good thing. I'm not gonna give up hope yet. So, I ask again, does anyone out there actually have a BuddyCall? If yes, is it loud?

I do have the one that I found. I just reassembled it to check and above water it is like a somewhat loud (and annoying) bird. A whistle is much louder. This is what the mfgr says about above water use:

"2. Does it work as an above surface signaling device?

* The Buddycall is audible on the surface for a distance up to 50 feet depending on surface conditions.
* Good for getting a buddyÃÔ attention if theyÃÓe close, but itÃÔ not designed as an above surface signaler and shouldnÃÕ be relied upon as one."

UW they claim a 100 ft range that is significantly reduced by a hood.

Ok, so I owe everyone half an adult beverage. To be honest, I am afraid that if I'm in a panic, I may not be able to breath well enough to blow a whistle. I like the thought of pressing a button (although I have been know to do ok while under rocket attacks in the Middle East). I sent a note to the BuddyCall Customer Service and got a reply back right away!!! Heck, that alone was pretty amazing. Wayne sent me the following:
Hi Anne,

Thanks for letting me know about the heat that you’re taking on Scuba Board. Please let me know which group you’re in so that I can find the discussion and possibly join in.

Besides being a handy way of getting the attention of your dive buddies, it was designed for those emergency situations where someone might be in a panic, so you made the right choice.

The unit is meant for underwater use only. Having said that you should be able to hear it from about 30 -50 ft. out of the water, which means it can be used out of the water but it shouldn’t be relied upon as a above water signaling device.

The unit should be fairly loud, like a radio turned on to medium volume, but it was designed so it’s not so loud as to hurt your ears. Many of us wear it attached to our vests, and you don’t want it so loud as to hurt if wearing it high on your vest close to your ear. Like all sonic devices it’s effectiveness is reduced if wearing a hood. It works best while diving warm waters without a hood, it’s marginal in cold water with a hood on.

It doesn’t get louder underwater it just that you can hear it for up to +100 feet underwater, enough to get your attention over the sound of your breathing at 100 ft.

Try new batteries if you don’t think it’s loud enough, but we’ve never had a set of worn out batteries go out. May I ask where you purchased the unit. Was it over the Buddycall website or somewhere else? Does your unit have a plastic or brass battery cover? If you didn’t get it from our site and it has a brass cap let me know and I’ll send you an upgraded plastic one.

Hope this helps and enjoy using the Buddycall.

Good Diving,

Wayne

Wayne T Smith - Director

FlyGirl again - I got the BuddyCall from Leisure Pro, and not from the website. This could explain old batteries? The brass cap is a bit difficult to use, so I'll be happy to try the plastic one. Hey, so who else is brave enough to admit they also have tried out blindly a new diving toy that was around $40? At least this place has great customer service as well as is a great signaler for under water.

Back
Top Bottom