Buddy skipped safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the safety stop is optional. I was trained that, although it's not required, a safety stop is always performed unless there is a reason not to. On this dive, there was no reason not to do the stop.

I can't say he was wrong to listen to his dive computer, but I will do a more thorough job of planning the dive next time, and letting my buddy know that we will be doing the safety stop.

If my buddy just took off on me while I was in the water it would likely be the last time I dove with them. That or I would ream their ass out as soon as I got out of the water even if it does make me look like a jerk.

Even as an experianced diver people can run into difficulties, get snagged etc....
For all he knew you could have had a medical incident and needed aid. I had a problem once where my smb got tangled with me and the decent line, Had to cut it, but is a perfect example for where things could have gone wrong.

Practicing safe diving practices is a must in my book.

Have a talk because this should just not happen. period.

Hello All,

I have done the PADI DSD, SB, and then OW certifications. At each and every opportunity it has been drilled into my head to not hold your breathe, dive the plan, never leave your buddy, and always do safety stops as it’s not only cheap insurance but good practice. I got into this conversation yesterday in fact with my DM about reliance on dive computers and batteries.

Now I am a new and very novice diver and most of you have probably forgot more than I know, however, my question tables aside, I’ve done safety stops at 60, 45, even 34 feet. Aside from good practice, what are the general guidelines for omitting a safety stop and how does it cross-reference against an emergency situation? Is it an issues of getting all of the air accrued at depth out of ones lungs safely not to avoid expansion issues or and reducing CO2 levels?

I have no plan to omit safety stops at ALL and believe in being overly cautious I am just curious at what depths and time intervals where it may not be completely necessary. The thought behind my thought is I’ve seen a few reg issues by newer divers at shallow depths, which resulted in emergency surfacing. Including confined water skills being practiced in the ocean at deeper than usual pool depths during OW certification in various countries.

PS: I’m not looking for any reason to omit safety stops, I’m just trying to understand greater how the whole process works and is worked out (bottom time / depth / Y what ever). Personally, I plan to purchase a dive computer, however, would like to understand things better before obtaining one. Still being a novice diver and the OW course covering a wide variety of material I don’t remember getting into the particulars. For example, I remember covering CESA but only in an emergency situation and I feel like a little kid but the best way I can describe my long-winded circular approach to the question/statement is “but why”?

Thanks in advance!

As Thal may come here and offer, safety stops were originally included in dive training because OW divers often exceed (sometimes seriously) recommended ascent speeds. Putting in a safety stop was to help control ascents in the shallows. Before they were widely taught, ascent rates were 60 fpm, and safety stops weren't done -- so I think you can conclude that, as long as you are not pushing the limits on your no deco time, and you adhere to the recommended ascent rate, it is highly unlikely that anything untoward will occur from omitting a safety stop.

And I'm not sure how much good they are, anyway, because people do them and then go from 15 feet to the surface in a few seconds . . . failing to recognize that the largest proportional pressure changes are in the very shallow water, and that last 15 feet needs to be treated with respect, too.

I always do a safety stop, and I don't care if a buddy skips it. If they decide to skip it, they can do so without me. I'll complete my stop. Three minutes minimum, five if I have the time. If they get worried, all it takes is a quick look below the surface and they will see my "OK" sign.

In my somewhat limited experience most recreational divers do an optional 3 minute stop at 15 feet. I see no reason for the deeper stops you are doing. DECO diving has its own requirements and techniques, but that is not really within the realm of recreational diving.

Yes Lynne and although safety stops are probably not required they still encourage an awareness of the fact that every dive is a decompression dive regardless of what the tables or dive computer tell you. Also the fact that the ascent rate is part of a decompression schedule and must not be ignored.
Safety stops are just as important to recreational no stop diving as minimal deco stops are to the people you dive with, for the same reason.

As Thal may come here and offer, safety stops were originally included in dive training because OW divers often exceed (sometimes seriously) recommended ascent speeds. Putting in a safety stop was to help control ascents in the shallows. Before they were widely taught, ascent rates were 60 fpm, and safety stops weren't done -- so I think you can conclude that, as long as you are not pushing the limits on your no deco time, and you adhere to the recommended ascent rate, it is highly unlikely that anything untoward will occur from omitting a safety stop.

And I'm not sure how much good they are, anyway, because people do them and then go from 15 feet to the surface in a few seconds . . . failing to recognize that the largest proportional pressure changes are in the very shallow water, and that last 15 feet needs to be treated with respect, too.

It’s called complacency, even though the safety stop is not required. This could down the line come back and bite you in the a$$. I have see it happen. Its the same with pushing NDL, given enought time you will become part of the stats. These things are not clear black and white lines...........

Dive Safe

When you and your buddy are diving with computers the rule is to dive to the most conservative one, so if yours had a safety stop, your buddy should have stopped with you. I believe that should have been reviewed as part of your dive plan.

While all the other post are correct in that safety stops are not required, I think we can all agree they are good practice.

Regardless of having anyone worry about you, if you felt like you should have done the full three minutes, then you should have. You cannot be responsible for others dive habits, you can only controll your own.

Once on the surface you could discuss the safety stop issue for the next dive.

Good diving to you.

More importantly, your buddy left you. This is very serious. Your buddy should never leave you like that. You should also never leave your buddy. The fact that you abandoned your safety stop because you were worried your buddy might wonder where you are was the correct instinct.

I disagree. Without getting into the safety stop debate, personal safety takes precedence. If a buddy does something you consider foolish or reckless, there's no reason to join him.

Also, a great many divers do not approach buddy diving with such religious fervor, or even practice it. If you are a buddy diver and paired with someone new, best to have a good conversation first and find out who is on which wavelength. Making assumptions can be risky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom