Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from a week at Buddy with a group of 6. Have to ask, is it just us or do any other notice a change in the attitude of the dive staff at Buddy Dive. I dove with them several times, 2009 and before, and found the dive staff to be pleasant and helpful. This trip they were condescending, arrogant and down right nasty at times. Anyone else notice this change in attitude? (the resort staff were much more pleasant)

Interesting. I was there earlier this year and only had great interaction with the dive staff. If anything, some of the resort staff seemed a bit distant. Did you have any particular problems with the dive staff besides attitude?

I was there last summer and didn't experience anything like this. I'm going back in June so I hope it's not!

Just returned from a week at Buddy with a group of 6. Have to ask, is it just us or do any other notice a change in the attitude of the dive staff at Buddy Dive. I dove with them several times, 2009 and before, and found the dive staff to be pleasant and helpful. This trip they were condescending, arrogant and down right nasty at times. Anyone else notice this change in attitude? (the resort staff were much more pleasant)
With who did you believe there was an attitude? I have a group going in May and am familiar with many of the staff.

I was therejust a few weeks ago and now that you mention it I would have to agree thatthere are a few there that had somewhat of an attitude. We were having a goodtime though and just blew it off and didn't think twice. But we did notice it.

Craig

Reactions: Jax
Irene was very condescending when my dive buddy asked for 24 pounds of lead. Her attitude was that he couldn't possibly take that much lead and she assumed that he would be crashing into the reef all the time. In reality he has many dives and is a very competent diver and NEVER hits the reef (yes, I know that is hard to believe, but it is true!). Francesca gave me a hard time in the beginning but after she found out we were experienced divers and were not exaggerating our abilities, actually got nicer and seemed to take our comments seriously. Agusto had an attitude when we tried to point out issues we had with some of the staff, and in a very angry tone told us to "enjoy our vacation!". The nitrox constantly tested at 28 - 29% instead of the 31-32% it should have been and when we dove on the boat the Buddy Dive the tank pressure in 4 of the tanks we tested were under 2500#, one was 2000 and the worse was 1700#. Luckily they had loaded extra fresh tanks. The next time we dove on the Buddy Dive we requested that they test the tanks for pressure before we left the dock and the dive master (didn't get his name) snapped at me that he couldn't do anything about the low nitrox mix nor the low pressure tanks because it was the filling station that was at fault! Another experience was that I was asking the simple question "Will there be a 2 tank boat dive available on Thursday afternoon?" (We were trying to see if we could get 5 more boat dives before we had to quit.) 5 staffers got involved and none had an answer except to snap at me for asking. The fifth person to get involved answered with an answer that wasn't even related to the question and when I pointed out that she came to late to the discussion to know what I asked, she snapped "Yes I do know the question!".

I also was also surprised at the little things that were missing, such as there was no mask defog on the boats nor was there any vinegar or such for stings on any boats. They never gave the usual "safety speech" on the boats (where the life preservers are etc) which I though was mandatory (though I obviously could be wrong about this as a requirement). The dive masters seemed to be more of a baby sitter than a guide on the dives and seemed to rarely point out sea life (though I have to admit I try to avoid the herd and usually swim well behind them).

The entire group I was with felt this negative attitude also and it seems to be coming from the top down. Other guests there were also commenting on it.

Irene was very condescending when my dive buddy asked for 24 pounds of lead. Her attitude was that he couldn't possibly take that much lead ..../QUOTE]

Was your dive buddy wearing a 7mm full suit? Or was he/she picking up lead for 3 or 4 divers? ....?

<shrugs> I wear 26 lbs in a 5 mil with an 80.

What concerns me is not the quantity, but the attitude as reported by the OP. We've been to Buddy Dive before and didn't encounter any snottiness, but we're returning there this September, so I'm attentive.

All the best, James

Irene was very condescending when my dive buddy asked for 24 pounds of lead. Her attitude was that he couldn't possibly take that much lead ..../QUOTE]

Was your dive buddy wearing a 7mm full suit? Or was he/she picking up lead for 3 or 4 divers? ....?

Really? Are you Irene? From your post it seems you have a similar attitude. I'm hoping you were just saying it in jest.

and jepuskar: Yeah but you still need weights. Problem with shore diving is that the majority of our group have bad knees (and other worn out parts) so the boat diving is much easier on the body. It really sucks that diving is so expensive that many of us couldn't afford it 'til later in life, when our bodies are getting broken down!

Back
Top Bottom