Buddy dive $1800pp for a 1bed apartment?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We stayed at GRI last year and paid less than $500pp for a 1 bedroom apartment. That was there dive and drive package including nitrox upgrade. I never looked at buddy dive before, but I'm shocked to see there price more than triple GRI and it doesn't even include nitrox!

How/Why would anyone on earth pay that much for a trip when it can be had for so much cheaper? We checked out buddy dive when we were on the island and ate at their restaurant and if I paid $1800 for a week I would be furious.

Edit: I was looking at the single person rate, double occupancy is still over $1100 though, that's nuts.

Edit: I was looking at the single person rate, double occupancy is still over $1100 though, that's nuts.

Plaza has some packages that almost gets you TWO DIVERS for $1100, and includes nitrox.

We stayed at GRI last year and paid less than $500pp for a 1 bedroom apartment. That was there dive and drive package including nitrox upgrade. I never looked at buddy dive before, but I'm shocked to see there price more than triple GRI and it doesn't even include nitrox!

How/Why would anyone on earth pay that much for a trip when it can be had for so much cheaper? We checked out buddy dive when we were on the island and ate at their restaurant and if I paid $1800 for a week I would be furious.

Yes 1 person in a 1 bedroom apartment is $1829. for the week 2 people cost is $1,129. or if you have a group of 6 in a 3 bedroom condo ,each bedroom has a private bathroom cost is $851.per person.
..Includes buffet breakfast every day,rental truck,FREE nitrox and unlimited shore dives,and 6 boat dives..
Does GRI include all this? Buddys is also on the water. Must compare apples to oranges.
GRI have breakfast?(figure $15. per day x7=$105. ? Does GRI's package include any boat dives? Buddys can be $117. less if you opt out of the boat dives.
The grounds of Buddys is definitely much nicer than GRI's and if you like a real swim up bar at a real pool Buddys has it. Security is much better at Buddys than at GRI. For several security guards it is a 24/7 job at Buddys , not so much so at GRI, even though Liz does her best there.
Not to dismiss GRI, Liz does a great job with offering packages for budget minded people.But for the difference in costs,which can amount to as little as $129/$246.(figure with or without boat dives)when with a group of 6. I would prefer to stay on the water in a nicer place(comes out to $16.-$30.75 a day difference for the week)when on a vacation.
You will find that the ease of getting out of your room for a spur of the moment dive and walking 30 seconds to the dock at Buddys and then a 2 minute swim to the reef will cause you to make more dives than what you will at GRI,where you have to load a truck,drive ,get suited up on the side of a road with all the sand between your skin and suit.

Yes 1 person in a 1 bedroom apartment is $1829. for the week 2 people cost is $1,129. or if you have a group of 6 in a 3 bedroom condo ,each bedroom has a private bathroom cost is $851.per person.
..Includes buffet breakfast every day,rental truck,FREE nitrox and unlimited shore dives,and 6 boat dives..
Does GRI include all this? Buddys is also on the water. Must compare apples to oranges.
GRI have breakfast?(figure $15. per day x7=$105. ? Does GRI's package include any boat dives? Buddys can be $117. less if you opt out of the boat dives.
The grounds of Buddys is definitely much nicer than GRI's and if you like a real swim up bar at a real pool Buddys has it. Security is much better at Buddys than at GRI. For several security guards it is a 24/7 job at Buddys , not so much so at GRI, even though Liz does her best there.
Not to dismiss GRI, Liz does a great job with offering packages for budget minded people.But for the difference in costs,which can amount to as little as $129/$246.(figure with or without boat dives)when with a group of 6. I would prefer to stay on the water in a nicer place(comes out to $16.-$30.75 a day difference for the week)when on a vacation.
You will find that the ease of getting out of your room for a spur of the moment dive and walking 30 seconds to the dock at Buddys and then a 2 minute swim to the reef will cause you to make more dives than what you will at GRI,where you have to load a truck,drive ,get suited up on the side of a road with all the sand between your skin and suit.

GRI included nitrox, truck, and IMO boat dives were a waste of time, we did one for $25 and decided against doing anymore. BTW I spent about $20 for a whole week for two people on breakfast.... That's the point of having an apartment with a kitchen. Cereal and fruit and you're done. Plus we like to be in the water at sunrise, they aren't serving breakfast at that time. I was able to get 4 dives a day in very easily at GRI and coud have probably squeezed 6 if I had a willing buddy.

This deal of charging "per person" ..."diver" non "diver" ...has hit its limit with me personally. I am no longer going to stay at a place that I feel almost discriminates against divers.

I have been to a number of islands and the cost of the room was just that, the cost of the room. Sure it was for "two" people....a price change for more people.... but no distinction on what you did for fun.

I am just done with places that charge per person.....per hobby....per whatever.

When most places have diver and non-diver rates I always thought the reason was because the diver rate included the diving... tanks, weights, boats (in some cases), divemaster, etc. I never considered it discrimination, just paying for the activity. Non-divers don't use the benefit of diving so they shouldn't be paying for that service. You can always book the non-diver rate and arrange your own diving with someone else. But you would still be paying more than the non-diver because you want to dive and need the service provided by the dive operation.

This deal of charging "per person" ..."diver" non "diver" ...has hit its limit with me personally. I am no longer going to stay at a place that I feel almost discriminates against divers.
Who does that? I've never seen anyplace have diver and non-diver prices where diver didn't include a dive package and non-diver didn't. Makes perfect sense to me.

Who does that? I've never seen anyplace have diver and non-diver prices where diver didn't include a dive package and non-diver didn't. Makes perfect sense to me.

Not to cause a whatever here.....but all you have to do is look on the internet at very popular dive sites....e.g. Bonaire.....and you will see the dive pays one price and the non dive pays another.

Yet, if you go to an island where diving is available, you can get a hotel room cheaper for two people and then the "extra" costs of being a diver does not anywhere meet the cost of those that do it different.

I know there are those that will jump and say I am all wrong and I dont really care. Do the research and you will find it cost more at places that distinguish between diver and non diver than it does that just charges for the room and you do your own dive reservations and costs.

You're comparing apples and oranges and grapes, but whatever. All that matters is the bottom line no matter how you get there.

You're comparing apples and oranges and grapes, but whatever. All that matters is the bottom line no matter how you get there.

If you wish to believe that, that is fine, I am sure you will make many hotels....yada yada...happy. But if you really do the research, you will find that there is a more inexpensive way to go. But whatever makes you happy.

Back
Top Bottom