Bucket List Checked Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

say goodbye to your savings account.

but it is GLORIOUS!!!!!
What is a savings account? Oh, it must be that thing people who don’t have G.A.S. use to put money that they hold onto.

For those stretches when the coast is blown out for a stretch and you have dove Phoenix enough there are two more scuba quarries in the Raleigh area: Mystery Lake and Fantasy Lake. They have very different vibes. They will also warm up faster than Phoenix and stay "warm" longer.

For those stretches when the coast is blown out for a stretch and you have dove Phoenix enough there are two more scuba quarries in the Raleigh area: Mystery Lake and Fantasy Lake. They have very different vibes. They will also warm up faster than Phoenix and stay "warm" longer.
Thanks, Steve! I’ll consider those. Do you dive those frequently?

Whoa! That’s uncanny. I just didn’t think of the speargun. Didn’t want to scare the mermaids.

My father made the twin tanks, the mask and fins were those I used during the summers. I wasn't thinking about mermaids at 6 years old. :)

Thanks, Steve! I’ll consider those. Do you dive those frequently?

Those are the go to quarries for the Raleigh Area and beyond and there are a lot of divers. I have lots of dives at Fantasy and a growing number at Mystery.

Fantasy has been around a long time. It has a large shallow area (less than 40 ft). Will have a strong thermacline and cold below. In summer that is at around 35. Max depth around 65 ft and cold and very dark. Fantasy is always open. Pay at the gate.

Mystery is like a giant bowl. Cliffs at one side and flats on the other. Shallower diving around sides and out on the flats. Bottom of bowl is mostly at 80ish ft but gets below 100 a couple places so very popular for inland deep and tech training. Owners very active and constantly upgrading. They have some bubblers so there is no thermocline. New years day I found myself taking a picture of a baby catfish at 93 ft temp 58. Late last summer if was 70s all the way to the bottom. I also have done several dives there where I never got below 40 ft. Mystery is F through Sunday and by arrangement with the owners who live on site. Can pay online at their website. Mystery has also added a large shelter, has changing rooms (heated in winter), classroom, and a large number of Benchs with tank racks for gearing up.

Parking at both F and ML is much more convenient than Phoenix. Can park where you are gearing up.

Both ML and FL tend to have a longer warm season than Phoenix.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll find out recreational scuba introduced you to a whole new bucket...

I got certified three years ago just to do Silfra in Iceland. Four continents and many dollars later I still haven’t done Silfra and my list keeps getting longer..

Back
Top Bottom