Bubbles in depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atsbits

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My gauge console on my reg has analog depth and pressure gauges. I rely on the pressure gauge as my computer is not AI. I have a problem with the depth gauge where it has a couple of small bubbles in it. I've noticed that the gauge under reads the depth by about 10-15%. Is this fixable or should I just keep it how it is seeing that it's just back-up, and compensate using worst case scenario.

Does it do the 10-15% over the full depth range? For example is it off 10-15 ft at 100ft? (3-5 m at 30m).

It is off the whole range as far as I could tell. The difference in indicated depths increases as depth increases. Not sure of the brand, had a look and the only markings are a made in Italy sign on the face and some warning labels on the back. It came with my apeks DS4/ATX40 combo if that helps. The 10 to 15% depends on location, at sea level, in sea water, the indicated difference is less than in fresh water at altitude.

If it's an oiled filled depth gauge, I'm going to assume it is if you're seeing bubbles, then it's likely normal. If it's not oiled filled and you have water in it it's toast. Can you not take it into a shop and have it looked at? My SPG reads light, I just compensate accordingly.

Thanks, I know it's oil filled as the bubbles appeared before I even entered the water for the first time with them. Seeing as it is just a back up system, I'll leave it how it is and just compensate.

Seeing as it is just a back up system, I'll leave it how it is and just compensate.
shouldn't a backup system be reliable? when your primary system fails you have other things to think about than adding 15% to the depth reading.

Agility is 100% right. Being a backup system it seems to me that even analyzing the issue does not make sense. Do yourself a favor and buy a new depth gage. They are relatively inexpensive.

Are you sure that it's the analog gauge that is out of whack and not your computer. Just 'cause it's digital, doesn't mean it's more accurate...

Gauges do have limited life-spans IME. Again IME, my computer will last over a thousand dives, the gauges maybe half that many before they start to have issues.

Back
Top Bottom