BSAC training recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The koh tao bsac schools are commercial bsac ones. Different to the usual bsac club system. Fifty divers on a boat? Not for me....

If you are interested there are a few bsac club chapters in singapore which do run sports diver courses. I am a member of one. Usually the open water dives are done in tioman. The advantage is the classes are small. The last one we did we had two instructors and two assistant instructors for two students.

Many thanks for all your reply.
In fact, my original intention is just to improve my diving techniques. I can be comfortable underwater. But still, there're times that I think I should be able to do this better. That's why I'm looking for some further education in diving. And my friend has told me about BSAC. It sounds that BSAC is a good institute. That's why I'm thinking of taking the course.
If you have any suggestions, I'm very happy to hear:D

Regardless of your choice of agency IMO, you can't go wrong with katdiver and Manta Point. Even though I only managed one day with him before clumsily injuring myself on land after the dive I've got to say he's the best guy I ever dived with.

Many thanks for all your reply.
In fact, my original intention is just to improve my diving techniques. I can be comfortable underwater. But still, there're times that I think I should be able to do this better. That's why I'm looking for some further education in diving. And my friend has told me about BSAC. It sounds that BSAC is a good institute. That's why I'm thinking of taking the course.
If you have any suggestions, I'm very happy to hear:D

As someone from inside BSAC. The training provided by BSAC Thailand is conducted on a commercial bases, not club based. However, the certifications awarded are the same as those gained in the UK (commercial BSAC Centre or BSAC Branch).

Your current certification level, see here, will dictate which level you may start your BSAC training. However, there is nothing preventing you from starting at the beginning, if you so desire.

In addition to being able to dive to 35m (following qualifying dives), a BSAC Sports Diver will be trained to use Compass, Surface Marker Buoy, Delayed Surface Marker Buoy, Nitrox (up to 36%) and be certified to undertake dives requiring Deco stops, plus a BSAC Sports Diver has been trained to rescue there buddy and assist in dive site management.

As a BSAC member there are a range of Skill Development Courses you can take.

You don’t have a location in your profile, maybe another BSAC franchise location would suit you better.

And as for having to learn in the UK, that's rubbish. I trained in 1979, in the Caribbean as a BSAC 3rd Class Diver (as it was then called).

Regards

And as for having to learn in the UK, that's rubbish. I trained in 1979, in the Caribbean as a BSAC 3rd Class Diver (as it was then called).

Of course learning in the UK is not a prerequisite, but for someone that wishes to dive regularly in the UK and be an active member of a branch, learning to dive with their branch in my mind is the better option.
Also my own experiences years ago were that I elected to do my level 2 at a commercial school in the UK and a number of members within my branch refused to accept it had been done correctly 'in such a short time' and wanted me to do all the skills again within the club, I simply changed to a more forward thinking branch. (my original branch faded out and died years ago)
This type of behaviour in my experience was prevelant within BSAC in the past and to me why to a point over the years even in the UK BSAC lost its foothold.
I know as you provide the link the BSAC organisation has now moved on and even accepts other agencies training as an equivalent crossover to the organisation, but unfortunately not all at branch level have moved forward with the organisation. Recently based on my recommendation a friend of mine who is a practicing PADI divemaster doing hundreds of dives each year joined a BSAC branch and was told by the branch DO, his qualifications were not acceptable, refused to sign the crossover pack he was told to purchase and told him he must start again and learn the BSAC way. Needless to say he was only a member for 1 year.
I belive PADI Divemaster equates to a crossover within the BSAC organisation as equivalent to level 3, or Dive leader as it is called now?

I belive PADI Divemaster equates to a crossover within the BSAC organisation as equivalent to level 3, or Dive leader as it is called now?

Hi,

A PADI Divemaster can, if they so desire:

* start training for BSAC Advanced Diver.
* attend a BSAC Instructor Foundation Course, Open Water Instructor Course, take the Practical Instructor Examination and the Theory Instructor Examination and qualify as a BSAC Open Water Instructor (CMAS 2*).

However, there is NO crossover to Dive Leader. Just like a BSAC Dive Leader would not get PADI Divemaster, if you haven’t done the course and passed the assessments you can’t hold the qualification – but it is a recognised equivalent.

Most of the members of my Branch trained with other agencies and are now BSAC instructors of one ilk or another.

Regards

Hi,

A PADI Divemaster can, if they so desire:

* start training for BSAC Advanced Diver.
* attend a BSAC Instructor Foundation Course, Open Water Instructor Course, take the Practical Instructor Examination and the Theory Instructor Examination and qualify as a BSAC Open Water Instructor (CMAS 2*).

However, there is NO crossover to Dive Leader. Just like a BSAC Dive Leader would not get PADI Divemaster, if you haven’t done the course and passed the assessments you can’t hold the qualification – but it is a recognised equivalent.

Most of the members of my Branch trained with other agencies and are now BSAC instructors of one ilk or another.

Regards

Yes that is as I understood it to work, but my friend was told by this particular D.O. (Diving Officer) that he must re learn most of his basic diving skills starting at level 1. Refused to sign the crossover pack and told him 'PADI training was not good enough to enable him to start Advanced diver training at our club'. Also could not go on any club trips untill he had proved his diving skills. For a diver with his experience it is absolutely nonsense.
Such a shame some of the older members within branches such as my friend, myself and other divers as Katdiver described in his earlier post, have not progressed with the BSAC organisation.
I was fortunate to move to a progressive branch and had many years great diving with my branch untill leaving the UK 3 years ago. But how many such as my friend are being turned away from such a great diver training system by this sort of negative behavior, emanating from people who are living in the past. I dare say this sort of occurance is one of the reasons why BSAC branches in the UK continue to close due to lack of support.

... Such a shame some of the older members within branches such as my friend, myself and other divers as Katdiver described in his earlier post, have not progressed with the BSAC organisation.
I dare say this sort of occurance is one of the reasons why BSAC branches in the UK continue to close due to lack of support.
Im glad you had a good time diving in UK waters.

BSAC is constantly promoting the advantages to Branches of getting new members who are already qualified divers. It is a shame some (a minority) don't want to listern.

In the UK, most sports clubs are challenged to retain members as society becomes more self-centred. Diving schools are also strugling.

Regards

Im glad you had a good time diving in UK waters.

BSAC is constantly promoting the advantages to Branches of getting new members who are already qualified divers. It is a shame some (a minority) don't want to listern.

In the UK, most sports clubs are challenged to retain members as society becomes more self-centred. Diving schools are also strugling.

Regards

And indeed still do enjoy UK diving, every summer I have around 3 months back there and must say some of the best diving I have done has been in UK waters, and although now no longer a member of a BSAC branch still dive with the many friends that I made over my years as a BSAC member.
Hence my earlier suggestion that doing training within a good branch is better than doing a course at a commercial school for those that want to dive regularly in the UK.

... Hence my earlier suggestion that doing training within a good branch is better than doing a course at a commercial school for those that want to dive regularly in the UK.

Absolutely agree.

I think we've high-jacked this tread enough.

Best regards

Back
Top Bottom