BSAC 2005 accident report released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cdiver2,
The SAA syllabus above entry is essentially the same as BSAC except we don't use BSAC 88 tables - we use CMAS tables. In my club we don't have a RIB so sea dives are boat dives where we normally ask the skipper about conditions - it does no harm knowing about tides navigation etc and some clubs are pretty much the same as BSAC clubs. The club I am in used to have a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) but we have a number of tech divers in the club who for practical reasons prefer hardboats - that said we have a couple of extremely experienced boat handlers but the majority of us are UK divers - the only knot we know is the granny knot - ask UK skippers if they disagree :)

We have to teach the bsac 88 tables - doesnt mean we're stupid enough to USE them :)

I couldnt really join a club without its own boats. I cant afford charter costs every weekend so it'd cut down the diving i can do by 2/3. Some clubs manage, some dont though.

String,
I wasn't having a pop at BSAC tables but you now mention it :)
Problem our club had is that we are inland and not enough people were willing to have tow bars on their cars so it fell to a small number of folk to do all the driving. BTW we're a small club so it also got quite pricey (maintenance etc)from what I've been told.

String:
We have to teach the bsac 88 tables - doesnt mean we're stupid enough to USE them :)

I couldnt really join a club without its own boats. I cant afford charter costs every weekend so it'd cut down the diving i can do by 2/3. Some clubs manage, some dont though.

Did someone mention tables?
I've looked at some other tables mainly PADI and NAUi and I think BSAC's are the most conservative.

Here's a sample (Air tables).

Table A (used for 1st dive or where there isn't any N2 in body)
TableA.jpg

Surface interval

Surfaceinterval.jpg

Yes but now compare a 2nd and 3rd dive to modern buhlmann/rgbm or vpm tables.

The deeper you go the more and more aggressive the tables become, especially when considering multiple dives. You can get 10-15 mins less deco with some solutions on the bsac tables than a buhlmann or vpm.

BSAC tables are unfortunately a relic. Old, dated, take no account of any modern research and as a result very few people use them. We teach them but dont use them.

Also remember when comparing to PADI tables - the padi tables dont allow for planned deco dives.

dbulmer:
I wasn't having a pop at BSAC tables but you now mention it :)

You may as well, im more than happy to moan about them on several aspects :)

Problem our club had is that we are inland and not enough people were willing to have tow bars on their cars so it fell to a small number of folk to do all the driving.

I know the feeling. Our main RIB here has just been repaired and needs sea testing. For the last 3 weekends there have been plenty of volunteers to go on the boat to test but nobody capable of actually towing it from its temporary store to the sea.

BTW we're a small club so it also got quite pricey (maintenance etc)from what I've been told.

Boat maintenance and insurance probably eats 90% of our club finances over a year. Several thousand pounds minimum. Works both ways though, without boats we'd have no members, no diving and no club so for us its an expense we have to afford.

Back
Top Bottom