BSA scuba merit badge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My money is on Scuba BSA staying as is with the Open Water requirements and the Scuba Merit Badge having requirements structured along the lines of most other merit badges so that would suggest some safety, first aid, career aspects, history and theory, possibly some intro water work along the lines of Bubblemaker or Discover Scuba at best, possibly the swimming merit badge as a prerequisite. I'm betting the Scuba merit badge is going to be a whole lot easier to earn than Scuba BSA.

Let's not forget that any Boy Scout who is a registered member is eligible to work on any merit badge at any time. This includes a 10 year old scout who just earned his Arrow of Light and decides to bridge over to a troop could choose Scuba for his first merit badge so the requirements have to be structured for him as well as a 17 year old.

Let's also not forget that none of the merit badges are a certification of training. First Aid merit badge is not certified first aid training... Lifeguard merit badge is not certified life guard training, etc., etc. I do not believe that Scuba merit badge will include any requirements related to scuba certification. Rather it will be designed to spark an interest for scouts to go ahead and work toward getting a c-card on their own if they so choose.

I have been in contact with PADI official by email. I definitely got the feel that the Merit Badge was going to be more involved than Scuba BSA.

I do have any detail except that the marketting suggestion is that Scuba BSA could be used as a teaser to introduce Scouts to Scuba. If a scout would like to get more involved then he could contract with the dive operator to work on the Scuba Merit Badge.

The suggestion is that a dive shop could offer Scuba BSA for little cost at scout camps/functions, scout troop activities. The merit badge would be a follow. The MB could be on the level of a cert but that would be pure speculation on my part.

I definitely got the feel that the Merit Badge is not going to be easier than SCUBA BSA.

Well, the process to move forward from here and actually have a scuba merit badge to offer to scouts may take up to two more years if past history is any indicator.

The RSTC's will all probably be suggesting merit badge requirement content and, no doubt, I'm sure they would like to see the merit badge requirements written in such a way so as to ensure a steady flow of training dollars into their coffers. Reality is that none of the RSTC's sit on any of the groups that will need to approve the content as it moves forward and gets ready for introduction. The groups granting approval have broad discretion on changing requirements as proposed by the work group that will advance the first draft.

Part of the Scout Law is a "Scout is Thrifty" and there are no other merit badges that have more than a nominal expense related to meeting or completing the requirements. If requirements are going to be more involved than Scuba BSA then that would lean heavily towards something akin to a full OW certification or JrOW certification, based upon the age. But if the requirements are more involved than Scuba BSA and don't lead to full certification then I really don't understand the point of requirements being "more involved". Between instruction, books, equipment rental, pool fees, open water fees, transportation, etc. etc. it isn't uncommon for OW total cost to be in the $200 - $300 range; which would be an expense completely without precedent in scouting.

Every merit badge has a corresponding pamphlet and the cost generally $3.50 each. A PADI Open Water crew pack generally costs between $50 - $75 depending upon where you purchase it. Supposedly the scuba merit badge can be completed with PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. which would infer that the single merit badge pamphlet has somehow got to incorporate all of the requirements of each of the RSTC members. Let's face it all of the training agencies sell their student materials because it is one way for them to raise funds to pay for their expenses. I just don't see where PADI, NAUI, SSI, or anyone else is going to be interested in getting a piece of a $3.50 merit badge pamphlet for their efforts.

Even a first aid course from ARC can be taken for as little as $30 and you receive a certification after completing the course. ARC has been teaching first aid courses for far longer than PADI or SCUBA have been around yet having first aid certification is still not part of the First Aid merit badge.

My opinion remains on the scuba merit badge having fewer/easier requirements than Scuba BSA because of the long history of merit badges being used to serve as an introduction to a subject. Plus, I just don't see any economic value in it for any of the RSTC's or LDS's being able to offer full scuba certification for just a nominal fee and I absolutely don't see national approving a new merit badge that would have such a high cost associated with completing the requirements.

I have to agree PADI is part marketing. The cost issue did bother me.

A water down scuba MB also bothers me. Scuba takes effort. Scuba requires equipment. I am not particularly comfortable with an easy Scuba Merit Badge.
If you make it easier than the BSA Scuba Award or swimming or Lifesaving, I think the wrong message will be sent to the boys about the nature of the sport.

As far as costs, the Climbing, and Bicycling MB, all have equipment requirements. The cost of the eqipment is usually born by the troops or council(Climbing MB). When done right, the Music MB requires access to and significant time learning a musical i:doh2:nstrument

The bicycling MB almost certainly requires access to a road Bike since it requires some significant rides and thus training.

I do not make a living or any income from Scuba or desire to make a career in Scuba. I think making it easier than the Scuba BSA would be pointless. This is not a sport to cut corners on.

I am assume these type of issues have discouraged the BSA from creating a Scuba MB before.

Local councils cannot own Scuba equipment or rent the equipment partially because of cost. I am not sure that I would trust the maintenance of such equipment to budget constrained councils.

Well, the process to move forward from here and actually have a scuba merit badge to offer to scouts may take up to two more years if past history is any indicator.

The announced plan is to have the scuba merit badge materials available in spring of next year.

Several years ago I had a Scout Troop as an Open Water class in preparation for their summer camp in the Fl Keys. Now I'm involved as a Snorkeling and Scuba "Counselor" for central CT BSA. Merit Badges are NOT the same as Certification. When teaching for a merit badge stick to BSA guidelines and try to explain to the scouts why they may want to take an Open Water scuba course (follow your agency requirements for the age of the scout) and get a C-card, which is needed for Sea Camp. Try and get Mom and Dad involved with a special presentation for everyone. Parents are looking for things to do with their children!

I am not sure about having a cert requirement. I guess that I reacted strongly to the idea that the MB should along the lines of the PADI BubbleMaker.

The MB program is aimed at 8-10 year olds. Scouts are 10.5 to 17 year old range.

If you look at snow sports MB, for the skiing requirement, the boy is expected to so skid stops, parallel turns down an intermediate slope, etc. They are expected to demonstrate a certain mastery of skills.

I think a MB based upon BubbleMaker would be a disservice. It would not be a very interesting MB.

The Scuba BSA award has some skills developement involved.

I guess that I have a real sore spot when it comes to how MB are often taught. I attended MB University programs where the boys sat for 2 hours in a lecture room with 70 other scouts for Citizenship in the Nation and they walk out with a MB. Except for wirting the letter, the MB require d little effort form the boy.

Scuba has a certain amount of knowledge development. Scuba is also something that someone does and not just read about.

It was mentioned at a PADI member forum today that the scuba merit badge was being developed with requirements similar to PADI scuba diver. That would be more advanced than the Scuba BSA Award (which is essentially PADI Discover Scuba) but not as advanced as the Open Water cert course.

I suspected the Padi Scuba Diver would be the model and I am more than comforatble with that(as if I had any say so :)). Those type of requirements might mitigate some costs. (Certification agency fees, books, instructor time).

I wonder what the open water requirements will be? The lakes/oceans in winter and even in summer can be pretty cold depending upon location. Some OW certs are done are taught using dry suits. I ran into a gentleman from Alaska on a Flower Gardens trip in the Gulf of Mexico. His OW cert included a Dry Suit Cert.

Thanks,

I investigated the whole SCUBA MB thing back in the early 90s. Personally, I think that due to the costs associated with the sport, the MB should be similar to the already mentioned Aviation and the Veterinary Science MB. Basically, the Scout would learn the parts of the SCUBA system and some dive physiology - basically do a light version of the book portion. The theory behind a MB is that it can be done in a one-on-one session with a counselor if needed. The equipment is too specialized and expensive to require the actual use of a unit. MB are supposed to enlighten and spark an interest, not qualify someone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom