BSA scuba merit badge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattJ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all --

In the past couple of weeks, I've heard rumblings from a few different sources that BSA may be moving scuba from an award to a full-fledge merit badge? Anyone know any details on this?

Thanks,
Matt

I don't have any details, but that would be awesome if they did. That is how I first got introduced to SCUBA was through scouts at a local jamboree.

Yes, see the discussion of that under the "Any Scuba badges in Boy Scouts" thread.

There has been some rumors of a Scuba MB off and on for some time. The BSA is now operating it's own forum for BSA members (you need a membership number to gain access) to discuss scouting issues and there has not been anything posted on the scuba forum, the merit badge forum, or several other of the more active boards for that matter.

Having thought about the pro and con of a Scuba MB for some time I'm not sure if it would be a step forward or a step backward. If we compare, say, first aid merit badge to a first aid course it becomes quickly apparent that first aid MB is a great MB, but completing it does not make you qualified to do anything. With that as an analogy I think the point could be argued that Scuba BSA as an award is actually more prestigious than if it were a merit badge because most scouts earn the award while completing their open water certification course which means they are now a certified diver, not just someone who got their feet wet with a merit badge subject which is the more common case with most subjects.

Just in case you haven't yet heard BSA has announced the approval of a SCUBA
MERIT BADGE. Details are still being workedout. But they put out an email from the innovation committee Thursday making the announcement. The decision came during a meeting with
PADI staff in Texas last week. Needless to say we are very excited.

look in this same forum back a little ways and you'll find a thread that already answers these questions...

psumike,

Looks like you may have gotten the same message I just received advising the results of the meeting last week in TX.

The content of that message does sound to be a whole lot more definitive that a scuba merit bade has actually been approved as compared to all of the earlier speculation.

The equirements need to be written/approved. While not on the inside, I would think there will be the basic prep: Swimming MB, First Aid for swimming realted injuries etc. Maybe something career oriented and I'd expect at least the confined water requirements if not an OW cert.

Mike

The equirements need to be written/approved. While not on the inside, I would think there will be the basic prep: Swimming MB, First Aid for swimming realted injuries etc. Maybe something career oriented and I'd expect at least the confined water requirements if not an OW cert.

Mike

I wonder if they will make doing an Open Water cert a requirement.... mainly because of the costs involved. (BSA likes to keep everything "equal").

I mean, you don't have to get a flying license to get Aviation Merit Badge. Or you don't have to get a Ham Radio license to get Radio merit badge. (just examples...).

I'm betting that you'll just have to understand the science and bookwork. I'm sure that if you wanted to include open water dives it would be included as "do one (or two, etc) of the following"

Back
Top Bottom