Brunch Recommendations at LBTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a place for brunch after shore diving LBTS Saturday morning, June 18th. My mom and dad are going to be in the area and I thought it would be nice to meet them for brunch somewhere after my wife and I dive LBTS. Any thoughts?

debersole:
Anyone have a recommendation for a place for brunch after shore diving LBTS Saturday morning, June 18th. My mom and dad are going to be in the area and I thought it would be nice to meet them for brunch somewhere after my wife and I dive LBTS. Any thoughts?
We have a couple of "local" spots that everybody should know about to get their LBTS shore-dive merit badge. They're easy to find because they're right at the intersection of Commercial Blvd and El Mar Drive (at the pier).

Aruba's probably has the "best" atmosphere and food. They're on the beach at the end of Commercial (north side) and you can eat on the patio (but if sunny it will be hot) or near the beach-side windows. The fish there is always good. Not overly expensive... this would be my pick.

Mulligans, on the northeast corner of El Mar & Commercial, is a local hang-out. The food is average (you can't screw up eggs) and bring your own coffee if you're a snob like me, but it *is* a legitimate "locals" spot.

The Village Grill is right between the two, on the northwest corner. The food and prices are between the two, as well. Banana pancakes are my favorite there. Good sandwiches, too, but overall pretty average food. You can see the pier & beach from the patio deck, but those seats are coveted so be aggressive if you want one and be willing to wait.

OH, and I almost forgot about Athena's, a Greek restaurant on the northwest corner of A1A and Commercial. They have a GREAT chopped Greek salad - I don't remember what it's called but it's only on the dinner menu (they'll make it anytime, though). We have had a lot of fun there on Saturday nights (dancing, music) and occasionally we ride our bikes up for an early lunch/late breakfast of Greek food.

The rest of the local spots are back west on Commercial. One of our favorites is "Pomperdales" deli... the BEST sable/whitefish/belly lox I've had since moving here (and I've tried a LOT of places). They put all but the best of NYC to shame, actually. It's just over the bridge on the north side in one of the little shopping centers... the second one, I think. Hard to spot but you can do a search to find the exact address. Because it's so good, the prices are a little higher than Einsteins and they're crowded. BUT, they're great.

One more spot - 1 big block farther south, there is shopping center at A1A and Oakland Park that has a little Italian bakery, called Pane Dolche. They have outstanding sandwiches and pasteries, gelato, etc.. It's a bakery, not a restaurant, but there are often seats open. I love that place...

Those are pretty much my spots for a quick meal with out-of-towners (or in-towners). The hotels might have something - Damon's at the north end of the El Mar (at the Clarion Hotel, actually facing A1A), and Holiday Inn at the south end of El Mar... but who wants to eat HOTEL food in a beach/dive strip?

Wow! Thanks for the great reply. I really appreciate it! We'll be down there Saturday morning diving and then eating. I'll be in a silver Xterra and probably wearing my Scubaboard T-shirt. Hope to see you either this weekend or another time in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom