Browned Out dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narced Out

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My dive buddy and I did two dives in the ugliest water we have ever swam in yesterday at Torrey pines. We literally couldn't see our fins from the surface on the kick out. When you looked down all you saw was dark brown and blakish looking color.

Vis: 0ft on surface, 5-8ft on bottom. Seems to be either an algae bloom or
surface murk layer.
Temp: 54 degrees
1st dive bottom time: 55mins
2nd dive bottom time: 67 mins
max depth: 35ft
Came up with around 500-700psi on each dive. I dive an al80.

Anyways, we headed out to the reef for our first dive and dropped down and swam
for about 5-10 on sand then hit the amazing gigantic reef. I have never really
noticed it but this reef has some amazing rock structures here for only being in
30-40 feet of water. The kelp is pretty healthy here along with anything else
that grows here. Lot of life, i did see a guitar fish chilling on the bottom. I thought it was a shark. Lots of lobster here too.

First dive was 55 minutes!! (We were both in wetsuits)!! We were freeeeeezzzing
but made for a good dive. We saw 1 squid attached to something on the sand but
it wouldn't let go so we continued. We just looked around and explored the reef.
Was a really fun dive.

Second dive....let me just say i never want to do a lobster dive here again....
We kicked out around 2 again for our second dive and managed to drop in right
over the reef. We decended in almost pitch black until we hit the bottom. I swear the kick is faster to this reef than it is to the canyon at the shores. Vis was same, 5-8ft on the reef, but it was ok for the dive. We Cruised around for 67 minutes. After the dive i got to watch a nice sunset on the back of the park rangers truck for an hour and a half.. hehe. Anyways, two fun dives.

After diving in these type of conditions, i feel more comfortable yet again with diving in poor conditions. Hope it clears up soon.

Jacob

My dive buddy and I did two dives in the ugliest water we have ever swam in yesterday at Torrey pines. We literally couldn't see our fins from the surface on the kick out.

hah yah, I know that feeling. When I can see my feet in hip-deep water entering at Vet's park up here, I get excited about the prospects for good viz.

BTW, you may want to have this moved over to the socal forum rather than the generic advanced scuba discussions. I don't remember reading any other Torrey Pines shore dive reports.

Lot of life, i did see a guitar fish chilling on the bottom. I thought it was a shark. Lots of lobster here too.

(Snipped a bit)

Second dive....let me just say i never want to do a lobster dive here again....

(Snipped some more)

After diving in these type of conditions, i feel more comfortable yet again with diving in poor conditions. Hope it clears up soon.

Jacob

Thanks for such a well-written dive report! A pleasure to read! :)

Why wouldn't you want to do a lobster dive there again? Not enough keepers?

I agree that managing adverse conditions can really boost one's confidence! We get our share of confidence boosters here in the Northeast, too.... :D

Dave C

I would like to see Narced Out put his exploits here where he'll get exposure

:cold:

Hey Kid. Did your mom tell you to pack a sweater.
Buy a pin gauge.

What happened with the crays.

Very good.

Thanks for such a well-written dive report! A pleasure to read! :)

Why wouldn't you want to do a lobster dive there again? Not enough keepers?

Dave C

Long story....lot of BS, long story short...

I got caught with 2 undersized lobsters by 1 milimeter...When your in such bad vis, 5mil gloves, its dark, and the thing is squirming around. SORRY if i didnt measure it perfectley. Anyways....if you want to know the whole thing ill PM it.

Hi, I'm not local but I've been to Torrey Pines...at least the above water part. Where do you enter for the dive? Near the parking where the trail starts, or further down the road where that beach is?

Sorry for the vagueness but I'm going by memory from 2007.

I got caught with 2 undersized lobsters by 1 milimeter...When your in such bad vis, 5mil gloves, its dark, and the thing is squirming around. SORRY if i didnt measure it perfectley. Anyways....if you want to know the whole thing ill PM it.

I get the picture.... It happens to the best of us.... :)

Dave C

In my experience, visibility tends to be better in winter here in SOCAL.

Too funny!! So thats why you got to watch the sunset :D
You seem to be learning allot faster than me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom