broken zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchoutheyspit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was trying on my wetsuit...getting ready for the wet season...when the zipper broke ( and NO, I have not gained weight...I have actually lost some). To be more specific, it was the part that zips the two sets of teeth together and not the teeth or associated strapping.
So, how do you repair a back zipper on full suit? :06:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did the slider break, or the pull (the tongue-like thing)?

If the pull, then you can use like a stainless steel split ring.

If it's the slider itself, then you're obviously going to have to replace the slider.

My first thought was a zipper repair kit like this... they are very handy to have around, and would just mean a silver color slider. But I just checked the kit we have, and the sliders on all our wetsuits are larger than the ones in the kit.

My next bet would be scour around for an entire zipper with the identical tooth size, and just use the slide off of it.

--Marek

What Marek said...

I had the same happen to my suit, but could not locate a zipper that large to replace just the slider with so I replaced the entire zipper with velcro ... it worked but was a real hassle.

Might also check with a local tailoring shop and have them replace the entire zipper.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Marek.
I will try a local sewing est. and at the very worst do surgery on my shorty (the zipper is the same...).

Cool! Looks like this is the marine version of the Zipper Rescue Kit that REI carries.

Well, maybe not so cool... You need to measure the width of the zipper carefully when zipped.

We've got several wetsuits in the family. The only 5mm zippers are on the kids' suits. While all our adult wetsuits (1mm, 3mm, and 5mm thick) seem to have 8mm zippers.

From the web site, it look like the 8mm zipper slider has double pulls, one on each side -- not sure that'll work with a wetsuit, unless you maybe carefully remove the pull from one side and file the slider smooth.

The 5mm "wetsuit" zipper has a single pull, but I think it may be too small for your adult suit.

--Marek

Well, I took a slider off of a shorty that I just bought ($10) and it fit perfectly on the 7mm wetsuit. It was an easy operation...snip/snip here...slide on slider....sew & sew there.
I bought some velcro to repair the shorty and am experimenting with using epoxy to weld it to the suit. We will see what we will see. :blush: My gut feeling is that the epoxy may be touch 'n go.....not long lasting.....

watchoutheyspit:
I was trying on my wetsuit...getting ready for the wet season...when the zipper broke ( and NO, I have not gained weight...I have actually lost some). To be more specific, it was the part that zips the two sets of teeth together and not the teeth or associated strapping.
So, how do you repair a back zipper on full suit? :06:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the slider came off of one side, then it can be fixed. I had the zipper come apart on my wetsuit last year. Took it to a shoemaker who fixed it in minutes. Cost me all of $5 and have had no problem since then.

Ted

I just had a couple of students pull the zippers right off of their wetsuits during their check dive suiting up. I have found the repair kit your recommended and you have assisted me in saving close to $50 in repair costs. Thanks! :D

Did the slider break, or the pull (the tongue-like thing)?

If the pull, then you can use like a stainless steel split ring.

If it's the slider itself, then you're obviously going to have to replace the slider.

My first thought was a zipper repair kit like this... they are very handy to have around, and would just mean a silver color slider. But I just checked the kit we have, and the sliders on all our wetsuits are larger than the ones in the kit.

My next bet would be scour around for an entire zipper with the identical tooth size, and just use the slide off of it.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom