Broken Bow Trip Notes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Frank and I had a nice day trip to Broken Bow on Sat.; the weather was clear and low 90s with water temp. above the thermocline at ~77* (thermo. was at about 28 ft.). Vis. was kind of murky, but about 10-15 ft. in most spots. Wasn’t as good as last month but we had some good rain two days before.

After some consideration of diving other spots we decided to do the old easy entry standby at “The Dip” at Steven’s Gap. We put in on the north side of the road and went westbound from the cove along the bank. Our depth varied at about 20 to 30 ft. We saw several bass and other fish, along with a catfish lying beside a log.

We went out for about 30 minutes then turned back toward the entry point. This is when we came across the two freshwater jellyfish. We made our way back to the cove and located a sunken dock in about 15 ft. of water. There was only one good sized bass under the dock. By my watch the dive was 60 minutes.

After about an hour S.I. we went eastbound from the cove. Didn’t see as many fish but did see a couple of good sized bass. At about half way into the easterly dive we went down to a little ledge at about 40 ft. which was below the thermo. Vis. opened up to ~20 ft. or better. Water was very clear but I’d guess the temp. was in the 60s. The ledge was neat; it was in an area that dropped of into the depth.

We returned to the cove and got lucky on our navigation, we surfaced about 30 ft. from the dive flag. That made for a nice easy retrieval of it to take it back to shore. We got 65 minutes from this dive.

I set the white balance on my camera at depth but left the shutter speed and aperture on auto. Some of the pics. came out O.K. but not as good as I’d have liked. I don’t have PhotoShop and wouldn’t know how to use it if I did, so if anyone wants to play with them to see if they can adjust them any feel free to do so. The only thing I did with the jellyfish one besides crop and resize to 640x480 was adjust the gamma down one notch. The attached ones are of:

Lazy Catfish

Frank in Motion

Frank Taking Pic. of Jellyfish (jellyfish is little white spot upper right)

Strange Tree Stump

Bass Under Sunken Dock

Even though it wasn’t anything to write home about, any day diving beats any day at work. :D

I'd say that was a Cool report on a Cool Day of diving at Broken Bow Lake!
I've taken a lot of pictures there and for some reason they are usually really dark or gold/green. The actual look is nothing like what the camera shows us. I'd say you grabed some good shots there! The Jellyfish was just too cool. I usually get disgusted when I see them at the beach or in the ocean. However... this little guy was just so darned cute all by him self out there just truckin' along that it made the dive. He had all the clear/translucent effects/color flashes that the big ones have with the lazer light like reflections that come off of them and such. All of it in the size of a Quarter... Pretty cool ! A Fresh Water Jellyfish........
If a person is into 65F degree temps at 30 feet and deeper with pretty clear water down there then this a great place. 77F temps were the norm above the theromocile which was unusually located near 27 feet deep this weekend. I did a little Adobe Photo Shop on the jellyfish picture to match the color that the "eye really might see" at the lake. Its a hard thing to do. I lost some contrast and focus of the actual event but got color so its a toss up. Either way its cool I guess.

Mike...I emailed you the photos after I PS'd them a bit. They would be a bit cleaner if the resolution had been higher but you'll get the idea. I mostly adjusted the levels in PS7.

Here's the tree....

sealskin98:
Frank and I had a nice day trip to Broken Bow on Sat.; the weather was clear and low 90s with water temp. above the thermocline at ~77* (thermo. was at about 28 ft.).

I set the white balance on my camera at depth but left the shutter speed and aperture on auto. Some of the pics. came out O.K. but not as good as I’d have liked. I don’t have PhotoShop and wouldn’t know how to use it if I did, so if anyone wants to play with them to see if they can adjust them any feel free to do so. The only thing I did with the jellyfish one besides crop and resize to 640x480 was adjust the gamma down one notch.

Even though it wasn’t anything to write home about, any day diving beats any day at work. :D

Thanks for the report and the pics. I took some picts with with similar results on a recent trip to Balmorhea with a disposable camera, a rented Sea&Sea 35mm film with filter and a Sony DSC-W5 digital with underwater housing. Just playing around trying to learn. I got similar results without a filter for all the cameras. The Sea&Sea and the Sony had a filter and I took some picts with and some without to check it out. You can look at the Sony picts here if you like.

http://ez.com/diving

I havent posted any of the images from the film cams yet. I have to digitize them first. All the picts are unretouched except for cropping and occasionally a basic increase of brightness.

It seems pretty clear that the best picts were with the filter.

Willie

Great pics. Willie!

I think that I need to practice more on setting the white balance, doesn't look like the pics. turned out like they should have. Oh well, that was my first time trying that. The jellyfish one that Dee processed in PS turned out better than the one straight from the camera. Frank's looks better also.

If you're ever up this way give a holler!

sealskin98:
Great pics. Willie!

If you're ever up this way give a holler!

Thanks. I am really looking forward to more underwater snapshots. I doubt that I will ever be a real underwater photographer, but I have to take pictures.

Did you look at the 2 videos I posted? I tried to show them to someone today and they didnt play. Their quicktime needed updating. I need to put mpg versions up I guess.

I will definitely be looking for opportunities to join in.

Willie

wet-willie:
Did you look at the 2 videos I posted? I tried to show them to someone today and they didnt play. Their quicktime needed updating. I need to put mpg versions up I guess.
Willie

Tried to but window said Quick Time software needed but was unavailable at Quick Time server...or something like that. Then the screen came up like QT was working and the button at the bottom of the QT screen was moving, but the screen was blank...completely white.

Heres some pics of Mike ( Sealskin98 ) from that day at Broken Bow. I used a $8 Kodak throw away camera.

HEY! I still wanna know who the Broken Bow Foopersonator was... 'fess up, guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom