Broken Bow First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vegeta82

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Im a decent diver over 100 dives not great but solid. Anyway my wife and i are going to Broken Bow this weekend. She is going to kayak. I would like to make at least 1 token shore dive. So any advice please. I will likely not have a buddy and I am wanting a safe dive first and if possible have something scenic in the dive such as a wall, lots of plant life, aquatic life etc... I am not a depth fiend so depth is not important but I have little problem with depth as long as the temp is over 60 as I start to wuss out in my 5 mil at that depth. Anyway I likely just asked the impossible but any advice with some sort of directions would be appreciated...

Thanks.

GC

Let me know how the diving is at Broken Bow. My wife and I are planning a two or three day scuba trip that will likely include Broken Bow and Clear Springs in Texas. We dont have a boat (yet) so shore diving is our only option. I've read some good things about B.B. and hope the facts live up to the reputation.
Have fun!

Yea i post here guess if i get no good replys i will just check with the local dive shop...

I am not to sure about the diving at Broken Bow, but I do know that it is spring fed, by several underground and some above ground springs, and can tend to be really cold. We spend several weeks a year there on the Roxanne... A live on house boat that we rent and anchor in one of the secluded coves.

Last year in July, the water deeper than 15 ft was really cold (skindiving with trunks only). So I tended to play on the Jetski more. This year we are headed there in August, with full dive gear to include 5mm suits and skins... I know the cove we stay in is 60-75 ft at the mouth and where we drop anchor and tie on to the buoy is 35ft...

Unfortunately its a long walk to "our" cove for a walk in dive... But if you are there in August and see the Roxanne flying her colors and dive flag, drop by and say hi, we are always friendly...

Thanks for the update. Cold water... well thats all relative I guess. We were diving this spring in 46 degree water. But then again i was in a 2piece 7mm suit. Thanks again.

Hey Guys! Just passing through.
I recognize I am actually getting here too late to really do anyone any good; but for future reference, here's what I got.

I have dived Broken Bow a couple of different times. I love that lake! It's beautiful; it's scenic; it's tranquil and it's just as scenic and interesting below the water. Having said that, I am probably not familiar enough with the place to offer up any meaningful advice. I do have an awesome dive/fishing map of the place. I recommend omnimaps.com.

I do know that there a few dive sites around the scenic overlook on the south end of the lake and also around several spots in and around Stevens' Gap. But if you want some really good advice, post this same question in the Texas Swamp Divers forum. Yea. I can hear you now. You are saying "but BB is in Oklahoma". Trust me. Post this question in the TSD forum. There are a number of Swampers that regularly make bootleg runs across the Red River to dive BB.

Well my trip report. Dont read this if you have ANY THING of Value to do. Trip was great camping was awesome. HIGHLY recommend staying at the Broken Bow camping area. Its on the river as opposed to the lake but the camp sites are bigger more private almost all have direct water access to the river. And the best NO DRUNK POWER BOATERS!!!

Anyway. Met a pair of divers who were treasure hunting near the damn they said poor viz but they were finding treasure?? Not sure what the treasure was.

Anyway after a long weekend i finally decided i would dive the river in front of my campsite. It had a wall that folks were cliff jumping in and i had seen many fish in the previous days. After getting all geared up and making it to the water i was as hot as can be. I made the plunge did the last checks on all my gear and was ready to submerge. I had about 15 kayakers and paddle boat folks stairing at me as if i was some kind of freak. And at that moment I discovered I LOST MY MASK!!!!! The instructions i have largely ignored for over 100 dives FINALLY came back to bite me. In my rush to cool down I had my mask around my arm and in fooling with my gear i lost the damn thing. After searching for about 15 minutes i gave up felt like an ass and called it. So total bottom time was roughly 45 seconds and i used 25 psi. But the wall i am talking about looked pretty cool.

So if you did read this well sorry. But listen to your instructors old words MASK AROUND YOUR NECK IF YOU ARE IN THE WATER..

Masks are replaceable....sorry you did not get in the dive. I have never dove the river/pond....but have made several really nice dips in the lake over the past few years. My understanding from a buddy whom was diving there a few weeks back is that it is at near flood stage and vis is way down over normal for this lake...lots of rain they have had and are still getting.

Back
Top Bottom