Broken air inflator at the beginning of dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having taken OW in 1998, I also don't "remember" this skill being taught. Also have never thought about this problem before.

Now that I know the remedy, it leads me to a question regarding my gear. I have the Aqualung Airsource 3. If the inflator becomes stuck in the open position, there is a 'slide valve' that closes the hose and cuts off the air supply. I would then be able to slide the valve open when air was needed in the bc. Would this be accomplishing the same thing as detaching the hose?

Wheter it was taught depends on the agency.
Wheter it was remembered depends on the student.

Yes, the slide shut-off will do the trick, but now you have a slide shut-off that also needs to be kept working.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 12:32 PM ----------

We rinse our gear daily while on dive trips and then give it all a thorough cleaning when we get home - put warm, fresh water inside the bc and flush it out - soak gear in warm fresh water.

See post #35...again.

Having taken OW in 1998, I also don't "remember" this skill being taught. Also have never thought about this problem before.

Now that I know the remedy, it leads me to a question regarding my gear. I have the Aqualung Airsource 3. If the inflator becomes stuck in the open position, there is a 'slide valve' that closes the hose and cuts off the air supply. I would then be able to slide the valve open when air was needed in the bc. Would this be accomplishing the same thing as detaching the hose?

I own one as well -- but in the case of the 3 - you can not disconnect the hose - I am thinking of replacing mine for this reason and I find it almost impossible to manually inflate the BCD...

I own one as well -- but in the case of the 3 - you can not disconnect the hose - I am thinking of replacing mine for this reason and I find it almost impossible to manually inflate the BCD...

Haven't had that problem but I have only manually inflated bc once, testing it out on a dive, when I first got the gear and more often at home when rinsing/cleaning it.

We just got back from a week at Scuba Club Cozumel (had a great time). On our very first dive my husband couldn't descend. I was far enough away that I couldn't quite understand why he wasn't descending - and the guy on the dive boat was holding up weights in case he was just underweighted. My husband gave me the thumbs-down and we went to the boat. It turned out that every time he would evacuate the air from his BC it would re-inflate (like magic!). No harm done, as it was at the beginning of the dive (and the dive shop had it repaired before the next morning's dives). But it was a conversation starter. How would you handle it if the inflator malfunctioned at depth? What we came up with was we would disconnect the hose from the BC - but if this hadn't happened I don't think I would have thought of that in the midst of a snafu at depth. Are there other, better, different ideas? Would you recommend we practice this little maneuver? My first thought was to ditch the whole rig and share air with my buddy. I don't know which I could do quickest.

Feel free to move this to a different forum if I put it in the wrong place. It counted as an 'incident' to me ...

I don't mean to nitpick but thumbs down means descend in scuba sign lingo, thumb up means dive over or ascend.

I don't mean to nitpick but thumbs down means descend in scuba sign lingo, thumb up means dive over or ascend.
Agreed, storngly. It can actually be dangerous to use non-standard hand signs......

Had it happen to me at 70' in the early stages of a dive where my LPI went into free flow. I disconnected the inflator but didn't think to orally inflate . I had a nearly full tank but a 7mm suit and swam the rig to the surface where I re attached the LPI to fill the wing then took it off. The wing had been serviced 2 weeks prior and dived before without issue.

Got my OW in 2007 this wasn't taught to me

Oops! Ok Mr Smarty-pants! You're right. Clearly, I got the message he meant to send, and I honestly did know this one!:D

---------- Post added September 27th, 2015 at 08:34 PM ----------

Wheter it was taught depends on the agency.
Wheter it was remembered depends on the student.

Yes, the slide shut-off will do the trick, but now you have a slide shut-off that also needs to be kept working.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 12:32 PM ----------

See post #35...again.

Thank you! I went back to #35 and followed the link. Cool gadget and definitely worth adding to our rinse routine.

Certified a year ago and we practiced and practiced. My instructors thought it was very important. Also I bought a LP inflater hose with a wide flange so it is easy for my old hands to quickly remove.

I see it as an absolutely essential skill

Removing the inflator hose is always at the back of my mind. I have an inflator that occasionally sticks open. I am aware that it does it an just pull the button out if it sticks but am ready to disconnect the hose if it won't stop. Luckily it is a slow filling inflator so you really have to hit it hard and long to get a lot of air in the BC.I know I should fixit but it happens seldom enough that I wonder if it is worth the time to fix when it is not a serious problem.

The service is really simple. Dive Gear Express has a web page with step by step instructions. If you don't want to bother with a rebuild then you scan buy a new inflator assembly and swap it with your old one one the hose. They are pretty inexpensive, like $30 or $40 bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

Actually, rinsing a BCD is not good enough. The inflator mechanism needs to be flushed with fresh water, to get the salt/sand/silt deposits out. Otherwise...this thread.
A simple device to do the rinsing at the end of a diver trip is here:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301
Bc Flush Adapter w/ Hose
If you get one, make sure it fits your BC LP hose connector....those on air-integrated BCs are larger.

Actually, after a few years the o-rings in the little plastic dohicky wear out. Rinsing only prevents salt buildup and corrosion. You have to rebuild or replace once the inflators starts to leak bubbles. Rinsing well should prevent a sticky inflators, but I suspect that the lube on the o-rings doesn't last forever either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way we pratice that skill is to pull down on the inflator hose releasing the air out of the dump valve that allows you to stay neutral then disconnect the inflator hose which is easier if you are holding the hose tightly in your hand . Just a new thought .

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom