British man held in connection with diver death off Cyprus coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From: Home | Famagusta Gazette Online - Breaking News, Cyprus Issues, Weather

A diver has been killed after he was struck in the head by a speedboat propeller off the coast of Paphos.

The deceased, identified as 21-year-old Neophyotou Theophanous, was on an underwater fishing trip with his brother, when he was struck and killed 500 metres offshore.

According to reports from Cyprus police, the boat which hit Theophanous abandoned the scene moments after the incident, however a late police bulletin reported that the suspect boat's owner had been detained last night.

The owner, Christopher Sherolasky, a 55-year-old British national and permanent resident of Paphos denies any knowledge of the accident.

He was remanded for three days by Paphos District Court pending further investigations relating to ‘unmindful, dangerous and thoughtless’ actions.

Of all the fears I have diving, this is my worst! I have had my dive flag buoy skimmed by a jetskier. When I got to shore, I about came to blows with the idiot! Yeah he may have been bigger than me, but I was armed with a SS Backplate!

Just like driving, we all need to be defensive divers too! My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Be safe out there!
Carolyn:sharks:

Right after I got certified my cousin and I dove a local lake that is well known for divers under the water. The lake is shallow and we could not have been deeper than about 25 ft and we heard the propeller of a boat go right above us. We froze on the bottom because what do you do? We were fearful of getting run over so we just froze until after it passed and then we immediately went to the surface to confront this idiot (yes, we CLEARLY had a flag displayed). On the way to the surface a flash caught my eye - this was a boat with 4 guys in it FISHING! They went right over us and how neither of us got caught in a fishing lure is beyond me. We shouted at these dudes and they seemed amused by the whole thing. Well, we went back down and guess what? These people did it a second time! I tried my damndest to swim as hard as I could to catch them but they kicked the motor in gear and left us before I could even come close. They thought it was great fun, but I still remember that motor sound right above my head!

Jet skiers are my biggest worry. After watching two playing chasey right over a regular dive site of mine, I've always kept an eye out for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom