British aircraft carrier HMS Hermes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nishan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just returned from my second visit to the British aircraft carrier HMS Hermes. For those of you who dont know the Hermes is the worlds first purpose built aircraft carrier and was sunk by Japanese bombing off the east coast of Sri Lanka during WWII.

During our first trip in June we had good viz of almost 30m and calm seas but this time the currents were strong and viz was about 10m. Fish life was much better though with some large schools of snapper and barracuda along with some large potato cods and lots of dogtooth tuna. The wreck is also covered in large black corals.

The ship is almost upside down on the flight deck but it appears that the ship has partially twisted close to the bow and is on its side towards the front. Only one of the twin propellors appear to be intact. The main tower is also broken. Overall, most of the ship is intact and penetration is possible. Several anti-aircraft guns including at least one of the large Bofor guns are intact. We recorded a max depth of 53m with the top of the ship starting at around 42m.

Diving logistics are pretty basic so it takes some serious planning and patience to get things done but overall its worth it. Diving the worlds first aircraft carrier and probably the only diveable one sunk in action is something special. Most importantly, it is now possible to dive the Hermes again after some years of conflict in the area. The situation in Batticaloa and eastern Sri Lanka is far from perfect but is relatively safe at the moment. You just have to be ready to travel on some really bad roads and deal with lots of checkpoints.

Will try and post a few pictures of the wreck soon.

What a cool wreak ! Love the photos in your other thread.

Who did you dive with, how far out from the coast is she, and how much deeper than 52 does she go?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Any word on those photos?

Hi Guys,

I think Nishan is tied up with his research stuff so hope you dont mind me responding instead. I was also part of the group that did the two visits to the Hermes. The sea bed is at 53 meters at that point but the ship is half buried in sand so if you penetrate I am sure it would go deeper than that. We did not do any penetration. She is about 12 km from the coast but the journey takes about 45 mintes since the boats aailable are fishing boats with 15hp engines.

The most interesting thing is that there should be another ship HMAS Vampire around the same area. But this we suspect has fallen into the trench that starts just beyond the point where the Hermes lies.

There are no dive operators in this area so you have to arange everything on your own with a litle local help. Only tanks are available thanks to the color fish collectors.

All our pictures are on the webste Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise! which is done by another member of our dive group.

Thanks Ajith. Yes, getting to the Hermes is complicated but its a special dive worth that extra effort. I think the Vampire has fallen into the trench. The Australian expedition in 2005 didnt find it after scanning the area with sonar for several weeks. I heard there is another wreck at about 30m depth south of the Hermes though. Need to check it out. Apparently its not the Boiler wreck or the other shallow wreck we tried to find.

The pictures I posted on Scubaboard are on this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wreck-diving/259281-wwii-aircraft-carrier-pictures.html

More pictures can be seen on Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise!

HI divers,

Due to strong current we dropped anchor about 100 m east of the wreck and pulled it towards the wreck to hook it. Just about 70 m North of the star board prop we found the spare prop of the wreck Hermes sitting on the bottom. Well grown with corals. Depth 58m. vis poor 15m.
Bottom temp 25 C. These days we have dive tour operators visiting Batticaloa and the Deep Sea Resort.
Happy diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom