Bringing dive gear to Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're leaving tomorrow for Australia :D We'll be on a MIke Ball liveaboard for a week and spending another week and a half sightseeing. But reading the Aussie customs web site has me worried. They make a big deal about "freshwater sporting equipment," specifically boats, kayaks, and fishing gear, but are they going to confiscate our dive gear, or send it out for weeks for disinfection?
FWIW, we do dive in fresh water (Lake Michigan), but not with the same gear that we'll be taking except for the mask and regulator, which are clean and dry. My research does not indicate that the pest they're worried about is in Lake Michigan yet in any case.
I certainly understand the concern about invasive foreign species (zebra mussels, anyone?) but I sure hope I don't lose my dive gear! Has anyone had issues with taking dive gear?
I'm probably worrying about nothing; I hope so!

Deborah

I don't think you'll have any problem at all bringing your dive gear into Australia. I have never had any problem coming back into Australia with my dive gear and I haven't heard of anyone having any problem either.

woohooo- how exciting for you!!!!!!!! :multi:

when you arrive just tell them (if they ask) you have washed your gear in fresh tap water at home in the bathtub and it is dry

and smile and be nice.... when i watch border control on tv here the grumpy ones usually are the ones that have grief with our friendly customs/immigration people :wink:

enjoy - i hope you have a GREAT time!

Thanks for the reassurance. What we're bringing actually is almost all used in salt water only, since it's our warm water gear. I don't use a wetsuit in Lake Michigan (it was 41F on Sunday...). And washed, of course.
I'm really excited about the trip; I've wanted to visit Australia since I was a little girl. I was just trying to be prepared for any customs oddities (everyplace has them, and of course such a unique ecosystem has more than some) and ran into something that had never occurred to me.

And of course it's always best to be pleasant to someone who is in a position to make your life miserable... Both for immediate reward and general karma.

Deborah

the trick for the aussie immigration/customs is declare, declare, declare.... if you have anything on you speak up and chances are they will let you bring it in (packaged food/candy stuff).

and if a nice trolley dolly on the plane gives you a apple dont try to bring it over the border - they wont let you bring stuff like that in or that nice little beagle they have will sniff you out

oh and duty free.... remember you are allowed to bring in 2.25 litres of alcoholic per person (over 18yrs) so if you are arriving in Sydney you can do your shopping after you get off the plane and before you go thru immigration.

or better still..... do what we do and preorder your stuff so it will be waiting for you when you arrive; http://www.dutyfree.com.au/. just remember to pick it up before you go thru immigration.

and enjoy - im looking outside right now and its sunshining and warm and a gentle breeze, i hear the oceans are flat and yesterday the vis was about 20mtrs/60ft in sydney so QLD is going to ROCK!

cheers

I agree, be nice, declare what you have and I have never had anyone even ask to see my dive gear, which I have brought into or through Aussie 3 or 4 times.
Have a great trip.
Alison

Thanks again, everybody. Leaving in a couple of hours--woo hoo!
If my trail mix is a problem they can have it (I mostly bring it because we won't get any food between Chicago and LA) as long as my gear isn't an issue.
This trip is going to rock!
We'll be in Sydney Oct. 3-5; I wonder if we can get a dive in? Though it might be chilly in our 5-mm suits...

Deborah

oh nooooo - oct 3rd to 5th im in Tasmania!!!

but contact Carl at Abyss, i dont know what he charges for a dive/tank/ect but i will pm him this thread also so he gets a heads up if you call him

5mm...... i know alot of divers that wear 5mm all year round (hubby is one)

even if you are a little bit cold... its worth it for a little bit if you get to see weedy sea dragons at kurnel :D

Carl at Abyss
http://www.abyss.com.au
Work: (02) 9583 9662 (Abyss Scuba Diving)
email: dive@abyss.com.au

Please let me know how the trip went, My wife and I are headed to Australia OCt. 10 and will be doing a week aboard Mike Ball's liveaboard beginning Oct. 25... I'd love to hear all about it when you get back---

Teufelhunden,
see my PM.
The trip was great, both underwater and topside. We ended up not diving in Sydney, since our gear was dry by then and there was so much else to see and do. If we had stayed a bit longer we would have. We'll just have to come back!
There wasn't any issue with the gear. One of the signs in the customs/quarantine area did mention wetsuits among the "fresh water sporting gear" of concern, but they didn't ask and we didn't volunteer anything. In any case the wetsuits were brand new with tags still on them! I did have to toss the trail mix, but no biggie. That was mainly for the flight anyway.
I'll post more later; still catching up at work.
BTW, we found Nemo. He's got his own place now and is living in a green anemone on top of Steve's Bommie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom