Bringing Back Liquor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southbound

Reaction score
Just heard a rumor that you can't bring back unopened liquor from Mexico into the USA... Ok what's the real deal here? Anyone been down there recently that can tell me what the rules are and how much you're allowed to bring back? :confused:

I brought back a bottle of Mexican Honey-Anise Liquor from my dive trip in August - no problem, so I can't imagine them changing things. It would kill business for all the shops that service the cruise ship passengers! Here's some info from the US Customs site ....

Alcoholic Beverages: One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

You are 21 years old.
It is for your own use or as a gift.
It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingreturntoUS/vacation/know_brochure/dutyfree_exemption.xml

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into effect in 1994. If you are returning from Canada or Mexico, your goods are eligible for free or reduced duty rates if they were grown, manufactured, or produced in Canada or Mexico, as defined by the Act. Again, check with Customs for details.

Hmm... so I'm only allowed to bring back ONE bottle??? That sucks... ;-0
I tried that link, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Thanks for the come back though.

I don't know about the airport but everytime I go across the border you are allowed to take 4 liters of liquor(I always have tequila) I buy it in a 5 liter jug (one liter to many) and they always tell me to make sure the next time I only have 4 liters. you pay a tax for each liter depending on the alcohol. As far as I know you should have NO problem.

I couldn't see the link in the last post.

--this is PER PERSON. so even if the other people with you don't have anything they can claim it for them and you should have no problem.

Where do they check you? Before you board the plane in Mexico or just when you come back in to the US? I'm flying down and back so I don't know how it works. When I took a cruise to the Carribean they just whisked you through customs as you got off the boat, and did a few random checks. Also, what about cigarettes? Any limit on those? And what's the deal with using credit cards down there? I've been told they charge you extra to use them. :deal:

Not sure what the limit is on alcohol... the 4 litres could be right. With cigarettes, it's 2 cartons.

You have to declare the stuff when passing through customs IN THE USA when you land. If you exceed the limit, the worst that can happen is you have to pay duty (tax) on all of it ... don't try to bring back cubans .... customs at some airports will actually look at them if you declare cigars :) ... if you get caught, the fine can be several thousand $$

I don't recommend this but.... I have always HEARD that if you buy cuban cigars and take off all the wrapings etc. and put them in a box or wrapping from a mexican cigar........ THIS IS ILLEGAL and I have never done it!!----but I imagine it would work

Credit cards- as far as I know you do not get charged extra for your purchases. There may be a transaction fee for the conversion of dollars to pesos but this is with your credit card company. not the store in which you are making the purchase. Some stores offer a discount if you pay in cash vs credit card.

Southbound once bubbled...
Just heard a rumor that you can't bring back unopened liquor from Mexico into the USA... Ok what's the real deal here? Anyone been down there recently that can tell me what the rules are and how much you're allowed to bring back?

I called US Customs and they told me two liters unless further regulated by the state where you enter the US, so I called a Texas office and they told me one liter.

Mexico doesn't care what you take out; US Customs checks you when you enter the US, but (in my experience) not too closely unless you "fit the profile", which I tend to do if traveling alone but not if I'm with my wife and kid. If I were to attempt to bring more in than is legal (and I'm not saying that I ever do or did), I'd split it up with no more than one bottle in any piece of luggage.

As to the worst that can happen if you get caught exceeding the limit, they COULD prosecute you, but probably they will just confiscate and pour down a drain (I've seen them do this) the contraband liquor. I don't think that paying duty at that point is an option.

Diver Kat once bubbled...
I brought back a bottle of Mexican Honey-Anise Liquor from my dive trip in August - no problem, so I can't imagine them changing things.

Ahhh, Xtabentun... I just had a cuppa coffee with a shot of Xtabentun and one of Carolan's; I highly recommend it.

There are two or three brands of Xtabentun available on Cozumel, but the best by far (IMNSHO) is the "D'aristi" brand. Put it in the freezer along with some shot glasses and enjoy it as an aperitif. Yum!

FWIW, there is some D'aristi Xtabentun being imported into the US (I've seen it at Speck's in Houston), but it is very expensive, on the order of US$30 for 750 ml, as opposed to about US$10/liter (if you shop around) on Cozumel. Don't buy it in or anywhere near Puta Langosta.

I just back from Mexico and they said 2 bottles of alcohol or you had to pay extra. but I know some that took out 4 (just packed the other 2 in their suitcase.

And the thing about the cuban cigars is right. A cuban cigar wtihout a band is just another cigar. they don't have cuban tobacco sniffing dogs at the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom