Brightstar Darkbuster jr vs. UK HID cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for an inexpensive dive light. I've heard good things about the UK light. The Brightstar seems to have pretty similar specs and it comes with a rechargable batery kit for about the same price as the UK light w/o rechargable. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the brightstar light. How does it compare to the UK light?

jefffalcone:
I'm in the market for an inexpensive dive light. I've heard good things about the UK light. The Brightstar seems to have pretty similar specs and it comes with a rechargable batery kit for about the same price as the UK light w/o rechargable. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the brightstar light. How does it compare to the UK light?

You might also want to compare the warranties. Both UK and Princeton Tech have excellent warranties. I don't know what the Brightstar warranty policy is.

The brightstar is impressively bright, but IMO, too bright since you can't focus it like a can light. And the company is, well, unfamiliar and has not built up the trustworthy rep that UK has. The UK Light Canon is a SWEET light. Get the regular version and buy some good C NiMH rechargables and a charger from Thomas Distributing instead... far more multi-purpose than the expensive, proprietary UK battery pack, cheaper, and lasts longer, too.

If you add up the cost of 4 packages + a charger, the NiMH bateries are actually about $30 more than the UK batery pack. If you add up the cost of the light and batteries, it will be between $310 and $340 depending on which way you go with the batteries. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra < $200 it would cost for a Dive Rite canister light with a 10 watt HID?

Two thoughts:

1) You don't HAVE to go with rechargeables right away. Depends on your budget... if money is tight you can get the flashlight first (~$153 at ScubaToys) and just use cheap alkalines until you can drop a little more on the batteries.

2) Rechargeable C cells are handy in more things than just the one flashlight, so their cost can be amortized across multiple devices (ditto for the battery charger). If you upgrade later to another light, your rechargeable C cells can come with you, unlike the UK battery pack. (or the DarkBuster)

All that said, I'm sure not going to be one to talk anyone out of a canister light. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom