Brief dive report Fri 9/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went to point lobos yesterday shore diving from whaler's cove. Vis was poor inside cove (about 4-5ft). Outside cove much better at about 15-20ft. Very cold at 50-60ft depth buddy reading just ,under 50 degrees. Pretty big swell rolling around the mouth of the cove and considerable surge experienced even at depth.

Despite conditions had very fun dives :)

Ken

Very cold at 50-60ft depth buddy reading just ,under 50 degrees. Pretty big
Thanks for the report. You are now the third person I've heard mention colder water the past couple of days, and that's very encouraging. I was shallow at S. Monastery Saturday and the water was still very warm there (54F), but later this morning I'm going down at N. Monastery and have high hopes for it.

Bruce

Saturday 26th at N.Monastery and Carmel Meadows we had really good visibility and blue water although it was quite surgy in the shallow area but very calm at depth. 51 degrees F on both dives.

Hope to hear it was good Bruce, I think ill be out next weekend finally. Gotten caught up at home again finally!

Below 50 degrees can take a bite out of you, especially if you are in wetsuit. I was layered three way in my wetsuit at Lobos and after 20 minutes into my dive, my arms, legs, feet and hands were miserable...

I dove at Breakwater twice late afternoon Saturday, viz was pretty good, 5-10 feet, scrubbed the night dive and had a margarita instead due to not wanting to put a wet wetsuit on after diving 2 dives.
Went to BW again this morning with Norbs, had a decent dive, viz still 5-10 feet. Went then to Lover's Point, HORRIBLE visibility, <5 feet, more like 1, lots of particulate in the water, I need to come up with some form of underwater communication that goes something like this..."I can't see *****, you go first, I'm scared"
I swear, I couldn't see a damn thing, put my hands in front of my face so I didn't run into any rocks, it was pretty bad. Scary too. I didn't think I was really afraid of the dark, I had a light but due to the floating particulate couldn't get a decent beam through the water. I know how to say "you lead now" but how do you say "nuh-uh...I'm not going there! You first!!!"

You should have braved the damp wet suit and hit the night dive...I did and it was completely worth it. That was my first night dive and was really spectacular. I'm gonna have to make those routine.

You just confirmed our good decision to not go to Lover's Point - sorry you had a stressful dive. North Monastery was almost flat, with vis from 40ft in the shallows opening up to 70+ft at depth. I didn't notice the cold like I normally do on the N. Monastery dives and after reviewing the computer it was only 52 deg.

Yeah, the night dive can be done another time, when the plan is to do just a night dive or two, not start at 3 pm and try to get 2 dives in before Glenn's Aquarius closes so that we can get a fill for the night dive. It was just a bit too much, especially knowing that I was going to be diving again in the morning. It's OK, the ocean isn't going anywhere fast. Glad you had a good time though, what did I miss seeing?

Back
Top Bottom