Breathing on Poseidon Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info.. I have spoken with others that have the jetsteam and they don't have that problem Wonder if its just a hit and miss situation depending on who set it up on that given day.

I also have the Poseidon Xstream and it don't do it at all. This is the smoothest breathing reg I have tried and very quiet too.

I dive with a Poseidon Jetstream also. The shutter on mine is worse in shallower water when I am breathing harder. At depth it is much better. It was my favorite regulator for years. Till this last generation of regulators came out. My Poseidon Jetstream may take back seat to a X stream or a Atomic. If I have been a good boy and Santa noticed.

gtcpl2:
I purchased a Jetstream and noticed that it has a little bit of a shudder sound to it when inhaling. The jetstream octo does it too. Is this normal? I had no problems with getting enough air just a shudder sound.

Oh and the deepest that I went was 45ft and it did it from the surface down with no change.

I have two Poseidon Regs as well as a legend and you will notice the difference in the way they breathe, it almost feels like they breathe too easily, however I would not trade them for anything at 200'.

Have your poseidon adjusted by someone who knows them well as they also have a tendancy to freeflow when not well adjusted.

Other than that I would not trade them for anything, they rock.

Thanks, I agree in that I love them. Even the one that shudders breathes great, its just a bit annoying. I have tried other brands and really like my poseidons the best.

They are easy to breath with no resistance. The jetstream will free flow just by taking it out of your mouth so it may be adjusted wrong. That one is due for service at the end of wetsuit season up here..

I do like the Xsteam much better though

Standard disclaimers apply, but it's pretty easy and low risk to adjust the second stage of a Jetstream. Unscrew and remove the second stage from the hose. Put your finger in the mouthpiece and push the entire brass insert out. Loosen the tiny hex head screw at the base of the long threaded stem. Turn the entire stem 1/16-1/8 turn clockwise - no more than that. Tighten the hex screw and put it back together (the insert is keyed). That's it. Some of my buddies used to request the hex screw left loose - then they could use a pair of needle-nose pliers to adjust it through the mouthpiece. My solution was to get rid of my Poseidons....for a number of reasons...

I was wondering if I could re-start this thread - recently finished a dive trip in Mexico and used a poseidon jetstream reg - it's several years old but was recently serviced and tested. I did not go as deep as some in this thread (two deeper dives to 100-120', most others to 70'), but I found that at any depth the regulator was incredibly loud - everyone on the boat heard it.

I also got the 'beer bong' feeling that some have noted where the initial air flow on breathing was overkill, but if I really concentrated I could get it to avoid the loud shudder by taking the smallest, slowest breaths I could. Of course, then I was concentrating more on breathing than the dive and it sort of killed the experience. I also found the regulator was 'wet' and every breath tasted like salt.

On an order of magnitude estimate, how much does it cost to get a Poseidon adjusted/tested to get these issues resolved? This was my first dive with the reg (was given to me by a friend), so I'm wondering whether it's worth getting it fixed or if it'll be cheaper long-run to just replace.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom