Breathing on Poseidon Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtcpl2

Reaction score
I purchased a Jetstream and noticed that it has a little bit of a shudder sound to it when inhaling. The jetstream octo does it too. Is this normal? I had no problems with getting enough air just a shudder sound.

Oh and the deepest that I went was 45ft and it did it from the surface down with no change.

ppo2_diver:
I've had no problems with mine. I've had mine to 170 feet. Did you have the switch on the second stage set to the "+" side?

Yes I did, I even tried it on the - side to see if it would be any different. You can't feel the shudder but you sure can hear it, and as I said earlier there is no shortage of air.
The dive shop said not to worry about it but it just don't seem normal.

At shallow depths does yours breath any different than at depth?

gtcpl2:
I purchased a Jetstream and noticed that it has a little bit of a shudder sound to it when inhaling. The jetstream octo does it too. Is this normal? I had no problems with getting enough air just a shudder sound.

Oh and the deepest that I went was 45ft and it did it from the surface down with no change.

My buddy dives a posiden reg and I can hear it over anything else in the water. It took me a few dives with him to figure out it wasn't a boat or something else making all that noise.

When I was breathing of his reg as we practiced OOA drills, it was even louder. It also felt like I was getting the air equivalent (in sheer volume) of doing a beer bong.

As you mentioned, no shortage of air.

Well I hope more respond to this question. Since I am a new diver and this is my first regulator other than rentals I just need to know if its normal. It sure is a loud shudder. I also sent an e-mail to Poseidon to see what they have to say too.

Yes, I can tell the difference between breathing it shallow versus at depth. It breathes much easier at depth. Could it be the way you are breathing? If you are taking large, fast inhales it may cause your shudder. I take slow steady inhales. I'll give it a try tonight to see if I can make it shudder by breathing differently.

Could it be the way you are breathing? If you are taking large, fast inhales it may cause your shudder. I take slow steady inhales

Well that was one of my thoughts too, so I tried slow, short, long, deep ( hmm sounds like im off track here) and none of them made any difference. It was really loud when my dive buddy was on my octo and I was on the second stage at the same time.

I read somewhere else in a seach that Poseidons need to be tuned??

All regs need to be tuned. It could be that the IP may be a little too high. I'm not a technician for Poseidon's, but I know I've had the same "shudder" when working on other regulators. You could always take it to your LDS to get it checked out.

There's only two things that are coming to mind when you say shuddering. 1. the diaphram is chattering due to the inhalation arm being too far from it, which means it needs adjusting, or 2. it's adjusted so fine that the volume of air is causing the diaphram to flutter as the air is going by. But both are not normally heard underwater as the water pressure keeps the diaphram from chattering. My guess would be that it is an adjustment in the 2nd stage somewhere. I've worked on a lot of poseidons but have never heard of one that shudders underwater. As for the "lots of air at depth" I once had a guy tell me that you don't appreciate a poseidon until you get it to 200' and he was right, it seems like the deeper they go the nicer they are.

My 2 cents worth

D

Shuttering or honking is fairly normal for a Posiedon, actually. It just means the little tube on the inside of the second stage is adjusted a bit too long, and therefore too sensitive. It probably also tends to freeflow a bit. The flow on the Poseidon is so high, that it can cause the diaphragm to push out a bit and close the reg (like you're exhaling). With the flow temporarily stopped, but you're still inhaling, the reg opens again and the process repeats. The reg is so sensitive and this happens so quickly, the reg appears to shutter or honk. At depth, it stops since the ambient pressure is now high enough that the flow of the reg never causes it to actually close inadvertently anymore.

People had told me that some electrical tape wrapped around the outside around the diaphram helps fix the problem. Didn't work for me - made the problem worse.

Back
Top Bottom