Breathing Nitrox through non-compatible reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Nitrox class was conducted as part of a trip. We dove the first day at Vortex and had no need for Nitrox. The second day we did our Nitrox checkout dives and everyone used the exact same gear(obviously not tanks!) instructor included. Our mixes were under 40% so no one worried about a thing.

Miranda

Atticus:
Someone want to fill me in on how 21%-40% nitrox can cause the O rings to "fall apart"?

Its an oxidizer and causes the o-rings to deteriorate. Most all manufacturers use o-rings that are a good quality and will do fine with O2 mixes upto 40%+ (a little more give or take). There are a few manufacturers that use very cheap low quality o-rings to save money. Those o-rings don't handle O2 %s well when the mix reaches more than 30%-32%.

2Tours N Iraq`:
Thanks for all the posts, it alleviates my concerns for breathing <40% nitrox on my reg. Thank you for adding to my knowledge about this great sport.

By the way 2Tours, my hats off to you and our servicemen and women for your service to our great country. More of us stand behind and support you more than you know (or the media wants to know).

BigJetDriver:
There are always some renegades somewhere, or folks who shape the local version of the rules to their own ends, but the consensus in the industry is this:

Up to and including 40%, any and all equipment will work.

Above 40%, and all cylinders used for Partial Pressure Blending, clean and prepare for oxygen service (i.e. cleaning, rings, seats, o-rings, and lubes, etc.)

Industry Standard: All of your breathing gear will work well up to 40%.

Back
Top Bottom