Breathing in through nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I do have something to contribute after all... shove some check valves up her nostrils! Would allow here to breath out to clear the mask and not breath in.

Just a side note -- When my wife first started her OW class she had big problems with "the nose thing." We did many of the exercises noted above, BUT, the difference is we did them in a hot tub. The only reason I bring that up is that the hot tub was a "safe place" and very comforting and comfortable to try this scary stuff.

Besides the no mask drill, have her stand in the shower at home. Tell her to step up until it is spraying directly into her face. Have her stand there for 20 minutes breathing only from her mouth.

It is an easy and relaxing place to program the brain without spectators.

My wife too had trouble separating the nose from the mouth and getting the hang of mouth-breathing. But she eventually got it. I think everyone can learn it. The above techniques all sound like good ways to practice. Maybe this is a good argument for starting out as a snorkeler before you move on to scuba?

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies - lots of good advice.

We went to the pool today and practised for about a half hour and it went pretty well. We were in the shallow end and at first it was pretty dicey, but she kept at it and it got better. She was able to breathe under water with just the snorkel one time for over a minute, and several times for 15-30 seconds, so she is getting there. I kept telling her definitely will come with practise. I think she is going to try again tomorrow in the tub.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers,

Michael

Greetings Michael,
Welcome to SB and it is good to hear of your wife's upcoming training!
First of all reassure her that this difficulty will pass with experience and practice.
I had a particular hard time with nose breathing. I purchased a purge valve mask, which helped. I practiced in the shower actually flooding my mask and then breathing only through my mouth. Eventually I could leave my mask flooded the entire shower.
Next was the pool which as others have mentioned the snorkel no mask was the winner!
The main thing is you get over the nose breathing with practice and experience!
As difficult as it seems at first soon she will be diving and it will be worth all the extra work. Diving is a participation sport that requires more effort for some but with more effort comes a greater sense of accomplishment and determination.
Please keep us posted on her progress and let us know if we can help!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

We went to the pool today and practised for about a half hour and it went pretty well. We were in the shallow end and at first it was pretty dicey, but she kept at it and it got better. She was able to breathe under water with just the snorkel one time for over a minute, and several times for 15-30 seconds, so she is getting there. I kept telling her definitely will come with practise. I think she is going to try again tomorrow in the tub.

Michael

Hey Mike... tell her there are a bunch of guys (... and gals) out here on ScubaBoard pulling for her and hoping to hear someday she got here C-card...

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies - lots of good advice.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for your advice.

Cheers,

Michael

That is awesome, Michael! Sounds like a determined lady and with your support, perhaps she'll be your dive buddy yet. Thanks for the update and we look forward to reading more about her progress. :lotsalove:

Hope all works out for her, and it will if she really wants it...
I have read on SB to partially flood the mask while on land and leave it that way for a while (in the house, shower, in front of the computer etc...) This way you have to breathe through your mouth.. And in these cold temps it keeps you from freezing while you practice... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom