Breakwater video - Sunday Feb 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The swell predictions earlier in the week were calling for 7-12ft, with gusts of wind up to 50kt. But the CDIP model looked good, so we decided to head down for a look. As we pulled up to the gate at Point Lobos, we faced an unfamiliar site. A gate. And another one right behind it. Lobos was closed?? Yikes. There was a bit of rain, but Monastery even looked nearly diveable, so we headed down to breakwater to take a look.

There were fewer than 10 cars in the parking lot (including a truck with a familiar-looking float in the back), but the water was flat, calm, and turquoise. Strange. The few divers we saw heading out the water all reported good vis and minimal surge, so we suited up and decided to start at the pipe, hit the Metridium Field, and then head for the wall. It turned out to be a fantastic dive. Vis was consistently 25-35ft; from each patch of metridium, you could just make out the next rock. We were buzzed by a couple of sea lions, and got a bit lost trying to make it to the wall (it's a long swim). Once there, we noticed that the viz was pretty spectacular, with almost no particulates in the water. We shot an SMB for practice and hauled ourselves out of the beach. Traffic on the way back from 156 was was horrible.

Video is posted at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8c4TiX6vs

Sadly, the source is not HD, but if you click on the "View in HD" link, it'll look better than a typical "high quality" upload since it's encoded at a higher bitrate.

Smaller version is embedded here:

Hey Ken,

I enjoy how you shoot video on the gear and location prior to the dive; makes for a thorough breakdown of the site to dive and the equipment to be utilized....

MG

Great video Kenn! I love the rabbits chowing down at the end. :D

Great video guys! Thanks for sharing that. Looks like great vis. I was scared away by the forecasts. : (

Rob

The ending was a secret bonus, shhh :)

Man, I wanted to dive today as well. But I was tired and too lazy to try to set anything up (also, I didn't want to push my luck with mother nature after getting such a nice day yesterday)!

Man, I wanted to dive today as well. But I was tired and too lazy to try to set anything up (also, I didn't want to push my luck with mother nature after getting such a nice day yesterday)!

Dang. I wish I would have got to meet you guys yesterday - but maybe I did. Do you remember talking to a guy with a Michigan State sweatshirt on?

Sorry...didn't mean to blow it for everyone else.

There aren't any bunnies, really. Just watch for a surprise at the end of the video. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom