Breakwater 5/31 & 6/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
All I can say is beautiful!!...dead calm ocean and vis at around 20'!...the temps are also starting to come up with a surface temp of 57 and bottom of 55 at 20'....unfortunatly the diving was a beginner class check out....the only thing that could have made it better was if the sun had been out instead of overcast....I talked to people who were at Coral street who said the vis there was over 30' ...and some folks who went out on the Escapade dive boat to the pinnicales said the vis was 40' plus...

On 6/1 the wind kicked up early making the swells higher...but the sun was out with a vis of still around 15'....Our last dive was to the Metridium field...there was so much to see...the large rainbow or dancing nutibrachs are around the pipe and awesome to see...imagine a frilly white with bright orange nutibrach thats over 6" long!...also say droid's and spanish shawls...lots of egg sac's...Great diving and the temp at 50' was 54 degrees....with the weather kicking up a little UC Davis called off the class dive at Monastary and came to breakwater... the dive boat told us they went around the point and the wind waves were so bad they came back inside..I counted about 4 dive boats diving spots outside mcabee area...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, glad you had a good time.

Saturday, Pt Lobos was "Lake Lobos." The area was so calm, it was errie how everything was so still at Pt Lobos.

I have to agree about the excellent conditions this weekend!

I dove the north side of Monastery on the 31st and it was almost dead flat swimming out. I just walked in off the beach like it was nothing. Dropped right on the far side of The Wash Rocks and after a short swim, I was at The Canyon! That ended up being my deepest dive ever at 133 ft!

The Breakwater and Metridium Fields were in rare form this weekend with great visibility and flat waters making for very enjoyable diving. I hit the Metridium Fields on the 31st and the 1st and both times I had great visibility.

Night dive at the breakwaters was even really good. I found 2 octopii and ended up filming a bunch of spooky video of them.

This weekend is exactly why I always dive with a camera that can record video. Great conditions and amazing visibility everywhere I went.

Videos will be hosted onto my website soon, but some pictures are already up here Monterey June 01 2008

I was there last weekend and it was Lake Monterey then as well! Good diving!

Saw Doc and some other tech diver guys get out of the water at South Monastery on Saturday with Gavin scooters, doubles and stage bottles. Someone said that they had gotten in at Whaler's Cove. Making that traverse is a really impressive dive, especially as they looked like they were doing a trimix dive judging from the deco bottles. The planning for the dive alone must have taken quite some time, and it's not that often that you can get out at Monasterry with doubles and Gavins. Very impressive.

Diverdood

My girlfriend and I are recently certified, and we went out to Breakwater on Sunday for our first trip by ourselves. Man, did we pick a good day or what?

After a brief surface swim we first descended around 11:30 AM at around 20 feet. We swam out away from the beach a bit (to around 50ft), spotting some fish (and lots of what looked like nudibranch eggs) along the way. Visibility was MUCH better than it was in our checkout dives here, although I'm not sure how much that had to do with the fact that we hit the water after most of the classes were done (and there were only two of us messing it up). Surprising myself with the ability to navigate anything other than a straight line and reciprocal course, I got us over to the breakwater rock wall. There was tons of cool stuff to see there for us. I know it's probably old hat to you guys, but for us it was a great trip.

Our second dive of the day was a bit uneventful, but I did manage to navigate a square pattern fairly accurately (as opposed to the wonky triangle I managed the first time around). I also fell in love with my new HP80 steel tank. I'll be buying another one soon so I can ditch those extra 4 lbs. of lead for good. :D

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my far less impressive story. It was a great day for us though, and I can't wait to log some more dives and start exploring things like the Metrideums!

I was there and completed my 4 OW dives. It was indeed great...and was blown away with how much divers were out there.

My girlfriend and I are recently certified, and we went out to Breakwater on Sunday for our first trip by ourselves. Man, did we pick a good day or what?

After a brief surface swim we first descended around 11:30 AM at around 20 feet. We swam out away from the beach a bit (to around 50ft), spotting some fish (and lots of what looked like nudibranch eggs) along the way. Visibility was MUCH better than it was in our checkout dives here, although I'm not sure how much that had to do with the fact that we hit the water after most of the classes were done (and there were only two of us messing it up). Surprising myself with the ability to navigate anything other than a straight line and reciprocal course, I got us over to the breakwater rock wall. There was tons of cool stuff to see there for us. I know it's probably old hat to you guys, but for us it was a great trip.

Our second dive of the day was a bit uneventful, but I did manage to navigate a square pattern fairly accurately (as opposed to the wonky triangle I managed the first time around). I also fell in love with my new HP80 steel tank. I'll be buying another one soon so I can ditch those extra 4 lbs. of lead for good. :D

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my far less impressive story. It was a great day for us though, and I can't wait to log some more dives and start exploring things like the Metrideums!

Congratulations on getting out there and diving... you would be surprised how many people take the class then never get in the water again.... Just keep up the enthusiasm and build up experience...

Back
Top Bottom