Breakwater 1-8-09 (Pictures)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I braved the cold water of Monterey, even though I knew there was a 20 foot dinosaur waiting in there to eat me! We got to Breakwater at 8 am, it was foggy and choppy and looked unpleasant but the fog was wearing off so we sat and waited until 9 am and it looked much better. Well... I didn't sit, I forgot I had rented an Al 80 (was going to use my regular Steel HP100 for the second dive) and had not added weight so I had to run home and grab some lead. Anyway, we went out to the metridium fields on the first dive, hardly any surge and about 15-20 foot of clean visibility. Lots of sea nettles higher up in the water column but a few were down near the bottom. Other than that, just the usual characters really.

Time: 57 minutes, depth 55 ft, vis 15-20, temp 52 (Does the Suunto Gekko record anything below 52 degrees? I think not. It was WAY colder as soon as you hit 40ft)

Second dive we went to the Breakwater wall because my dive buddy is obsessed with the "kelp gardens" high up on the wall. Vis here was about 10-15 with lots of whale snot in the water. Pleasant dive though, saw a jelly about 1.5 feet in diameter, not sure what it is, any ideas? Also took some shots of a cabezon that literally would not move. I messed the shots up though because as I learned recently, internal strobe plus manual white balance result in a lot of red.

Time: 55 minutes, depth 23 ft, vis 10-15, temp 52.

Unidentified jelly:

1-8-09004.jpg

1-8-09003.jpg

Sea nettles:

1-8-2009025.jpg

1-8-2009030.jpg

Dendronotus iris swimming:

1-8-2009014.jpg

1-8-2009013.jpg

I can verify that the Gekko reads lower than 52. I think the coldest I've seen, without looking at my log book, is 42.

Cheers

I did move to a drysuit. I miss the freedom of a wetsuit but find that IÃÎ much more able to do repetitive dives when diving dry. I just got back from a road trip with a buddy who dived wet and by the end of the 5th day he started to have trouble maintaining his body heat. This is the same guy who goes out for ocean swims in Sonoma county in a shorty.

Cheers

Chuck, I suspected that was the case, I check my temperature throughout the dive and in truth I have seen it go lower than 52, the coldest I've dove (with a thermometer) was 47. I think it's mostly a case of mostly steady water temps in Monterey and me sticking to dives above about 60 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom