Breaking surface (2020) new movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
Joachim Heden the director of the film jumping in here . I stumbled across this thread here, and thought I should offer to answer any questions you may have.
Regarding the mask lights, yes, they are the standard ocean reef mask lights. The masks and how to get light into the actresses faces were one of the longest discussions/researches we did in 1,5 years of pre-production. We wanted something that was as close to reality as possible, with as little sci-fi factor as possible, that would still do the job of lighting the actresses. faces. Ocean reef was the only mask that had an off the shelf solution that worked for us. The only "mod" we did was to remove a piece of black tape on the underside of the light ramp, and replace it with film style diffusion material -- this gave us a little more light, and at the same time making that light softer.
Any other questions ?
After watching the trailer and hearing recommendations here, I went ahead and bought the DVD. When I open my dive center in Greece, I plan to have movie nights at my shop to help foster a community (open to all divers regardless of what shop). This will be one to add to the mix, these will be a mix of fun, ridiculous, and somber ones. A number off this list: The best scuba diving movies of all time - updated! - DIVER magazine

Anyone looking for it: the convenient content-finder JustWatch* is listing it: JustWatch

(*No affiliation, just happy user.)

A few thoughts after seeing the trailer:

(1) i am definitely renting this tonight, on Amazon Prime. Looks like a good time, and beautifully filmed.

(2) Are orcas a common sight in Norwegian fjords? In the trailer, one diver casually says to the other, “they won’t do you any harm, they’re just curious” — as if orcas are seen all the time. If that’s the case, I’m heading over to Norway the first chance I get. Orcas are high up on my big animal bucket list.

(3) The trailer’s tag line (“HOLD. YOUR. BREATH.”) is of course the worse advice one could give a diver, especially a panicked one, but hopefully nobody is taking that as literal diving advice. And I guess “EXHALE. STEADILY. ON. THE. WAY. UP.” would have been a bit of a mood killer for a suspense movie.

I watched it twice in the last couple days. The first time I thought it was pretty implausible, and that the main character had to be the most clueless diver (perhaps the most clueless person!) ever. Second time was better. The "dog scene" was absolutely unnecessary. Many opportunities to smack your head about the loosely applied principles of diving. The cinematography is spectacular. I also wondered about the lack of marine life.

For intended-for-entertainment movies like this, the phrase "suspend disbelief" comes to mind--which allows me to enjoy them. Otherwise, we find ourselves apoplectic when, say, our favorite action hero delivers 21 shots out of his M1911 without reloading.

rx7diver

In Canada this is now up on up Crave. Just watching it right now. So far, exciting, nicely shot, with more detail than most underwater adventures, e.g., safety stops, dive computer alarms, CO2 toxicity, DSMBs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom