Breaking surface (2020) new movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came across this movie Breaking Surface (new Feb 2020).
It's a swedish movie about two cold water divers.
Nicely done, very well technically.
Nice to recommend in this quarantine times.

I just came across this movie Breaking Surface (new Feb 2020).
It's a swedish movie about two cold water divers.
Nicely done, very well technically.
Nice to recommend in this quarantine times.
Thanks for posting. Where did you come across it (struggling finding it streamed)?

Watched the trailer:
I could not avoid noticing those strange masks with some LED lights INSIDE THE MASK !!!
I suppose you cannot see anything when the glass gets light form inside, and the outside is dark...

Watched the trailer:
I could not avoid noticing those strange masks with some LED lights INSIDE THE MASK !!!
I suppose you cannot see anything when the glass gets light form inside, and the outside is dark...
They both are using Ocean Reef masks with interior light.
Visor Light | OCEAN REEF Diving

Watched the trailer:
Yeah, this isn’t the first movie to do the light in the helmet/mask thing. For brightly lit tropical dive movies they can use clear silicone masks. The first day of filming they went “crap” and started getting light fitted masks.

Hi,
Joachim Heden the director of the film jumping in here . I stumbled across this thread here, and thought I should offer to answer any questions you may have.
Regarding the mask lights, yes, they are the standard ocean reef mask lights. The masks and how to get light into the actresses faces were one of the longest discussions/researches we did in 1,5 years of pre-production. We wanted something that was as close to reality as possible, with as little sci-fi factor as possible, that would still do the job of lighting the actresses. faces. Ocean reef was the only mask that had an off the shelf solution that worked for us. The only "mod" we did was to remove a piece of black tape on the underside of the light ramp, and replace it with film style diffusion material -- this gave us a little more light, and at the same time making that light softer.
Any other questions ?

Hi,
Joachim Heden the director of the film jumping in here . I stumbled across this thread here, and thought I should offer to answer any questions you may have.
Regarding the mask lights, yes, they are the standard ocean reef mask lights. The masks and how to get light into the actresses faces were one of the longest discussions/researches we did in 1,5 years of pre-production. We wanted something that was as close to reality as possible, with as little sci-fi factor as possible, that would still do the job of lighting the actresses. faces. Ocean reef was the only mask that had an off the shelf solution that worked for us. The only "mod" we did was to remove a piece of black tape on the underside of the light ramp, and replace it with film style diffusion material -- this gave us a little more light, and at the same time making that light softer.
Any other questions ?

I've seen the movie and I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the diving procedures. Thanks for that.
I've never dived a Norwegian fiord so, one point I would ask is if those bottoms are so desert without plants and fishes. I did dive and normally dive in ocean cold waters in South America and the underwater landscape is covered with algae and fishes.

Hi Joachim, are there any plans to release the streaming on platforms that can be subscribed to in North America?
Hi,
Yes, the film is sold to Mexico and Canada, and should become available quite soon in those countries. As for the US, there is not yet a distribution deal in place, but it's being worked on, and we expect this to be sorted after the summer.
J

Back
Top Bottom