Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This older graph of data does show a small uptick in consumption. However, I can't track where the meat eventually ends up. Cold storage is expensive and other consumer niches like pet food and institutional purchases (schools, old age homes) etc. may be part of the mix. Since the government/ ICR/Fisheries are conjoined - the effort to move stockpiled product may be a factor in the small upticks.

X

It is possible. However, this is the best (most detailed, and most up to date) data series I have seen. While the raw numbers can hide the true picture, they certainly doesn't support the hypothesis that whale meat is being stockpiled. Until we have some accurate information, that thesis must remain conjecture, rather that fact.

So, we have established that whaling can be profitable, and we have also established there is no evidence of a slackening of demand - indeed what little data we have tends to show a slight trend to the opposite.

So, we have established that whaling can be profitable, and we have also established there is no evidence of a slackening of demand - indeed what little data we have tends to show a slight trend to the opposite.

This can be likened to the trade of humans for the sex trade. How much money that can be made or the demand isn't the issue. It's just wrong. Neither tiger nor whales have to be on the human menu.

This can be likened to the trade of humans for the sex trade. How much money that can be made or the demand isn't the issue. It's just wrong. Neither tiger nor whales have to be on the human menu.

Manatee's .....??:D

Although I agree that whales should be protected, Sea Sheapard and their affilliates go about it the wrong way.....If i were on a whaling vessel, doing a job that is allowable by a loophole that hasnt yet been closed, and one of those SS ships attacked me in any way, their ship would get scuttled. The tactic that SS uses are nothing short of dangerous attacks, that can cause injury or death. Whatever they get in retaliation......They deserve.

Why dont they spend their money to lobby for the RESEARCH loophole to be closed completely instead.

Are you vegan DCBC? If not, well you really have no ground to stand on if you are going to argue about the meat that others eat.

Are you vegan DCBC? If not, well you really have no ground to stand on if you are going to argue about the meat that others eat.

:confused: What does vegan have to do with putting sentient beings or endangered species on a menu? :idk:

:confused: What does vegan have to do with putting sentient beings or endangered species on a menu? :idk:
Who are you to decide what is too "intelligent" to eat and not?
Endangered should be protected, that I can agree with. Minke whales however are not endangered according to the red list..

Who says anything about endangered species here? Many whale species are not endangered including species that the Japanese are after here (Minke whales). Also there is little evidence about the intelligence of whales. But say intelligence is a criteria, then one would not be able to eat pigs, or cephalopods either. I'm certainly not going to give up bacon personally, no matter how smart pigs are.

Being vegan has everything to do with arguing against whaling. If you use animal products then you cannot really argue against whaling without being hypocritical.

Who are you to decide what is too "intelligent" to eat and not?
Endangered should be protected, that I can agree with. Minke whales however are not endangered according to the red list..

Even more :confused: . . . where did I say anything about deciding anything? You made that up, and then respond as if it were true!:idk:

So what your saying is that if I'm like Hannibal Lecter it's ok, because no one can tell me what to eat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom