Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so, 7th episode of whale wars and all I've seen so far is FAIL. Why do people support these imbecils? Please don't stop, this is the best comedy TV has to offer!

OK so, 7th episode of whale wars and all I've seen so far is FAIL. Why do people support these imbecils? Please don't stop, this is the best comedy TV has to offer!

keep watching, it gets better. :wink:

I love watching them fail. They really need to get some sort of Three Stooges routine going, in between the incompetence, with Captain Paul giving Ratboy a two finger eyepoke everytime they swamp a RIB, run out of fuel or send one of their small boats out without radio communication.

I love watching them fail. They really need to get some sort of Three Stooges routine going, in between the incompetence, with Captain Paul giving Ratboy a two finger eyepoke everytime they swamp a RIB, run out of fuel or send one of their small boats out without radio communication.

I watched all but about 2 episodes and the show and really started to enjoy watching them fail as well. I do feel bad for the people who donate money to them thinking that their actions are actually achieving any results.

On a side note: Did anybody else just get 68 e-mails informing them of the last post?

I watched all but about 2 episodes and the show and really started to enjoy watching them fail as well. I do feel bad for the people who donate money to them thinking that their actions are actually achieving any results.

On a side note: Did anybody else just get 68 e-mails informing them of the last post?

I think the money is the only thing PW is in it for. They spend millions every year and not only do they accomplish nothing, they actually hurt their cause. I mean, this is the "Marine Life and Ecosystems" board of a website devoted to scuba diving and you see about half the people here supporting the whalers. That by itself is epic failure! This is a natural support base for environmentalism and even here they have as many detractors as supporters.

If they really wanted to end whaling, shark finning, or dolphin hunting, the real solution is to win peoples hearts and minds in Japan and China by spreading knowledge and information. When that happens these practices will finally end.

Of course none of that would allow Paul Watson to live the high life surrounded by adoring, patchouli scented babes.

It was a video prop, they tossed it into the ocean like a plastic soda bottle when they were done using it

Whale ship millionaire backs Bethune's claims - National - NZ Herald News

Whale ship millionaire backs Bethune's claims
5:30 AM Friday Oct 8, 2010

The American backer of the whale protest boat the Ady Gil, has backed anti-whaling activist Pete Bethune's claims that Sea Shepherd's boss ordered him to sink it.

The New Zealand skipper called the conservation group "morally bankrupt" on Wednesday and said he had resigned from it because he was "tired of all the lies, deception and dishonesty".

Mr Bethune said he deliberately sank his ship in January after it was rammed by the Japanese whaling ship Shonan Maru II, on the orders of Sea Shepherd group captain Paul Watson.

He said the vessel was salvageable and could be towed but that he was instructed to go inside the engine room and open the sea cocks and flood the boat to "garner sympathy with the public and to create better TV".

Ady Gil, who donated $1 million towards Mr Bethune's boat, told NZPA he believed the Kiwi skipper.

"Who is, in my experience knowing both of them, the more honourable and more of truthful person?

Article continues below

"Pete is more likely to tell the truth than Paul. This is my experience with Paul."

Mr Gil said Mr Watson used publicity stunts - "more headlines, more money".

Mr Watson told NZPA he felt betrayed and denied all the allegations, which he said were made because Mr Bethune was angry at being sacked.

"No one ordered him to scuttle it. Pete Bethune was captain of the Ady Gil; all decisions on the Ady Gil were his. And that's all on camera.

"I told him I wanted him to go to New Zealand. He literally begged me to go back so he can board the Shonan Maru II. And he said he would take full responsibility."

He said the group cut ties with the skipper on Sunday because he gave false statements to the Japanese, accusing him of ordering Mr Bethune to board the Shonan Maru II.

"That brings me into conspiracy to intervene against Japanese commerce. It's what the charge is."

Mr Watson said he learned there was a warrant for his arrest two weeks ago, and he was on Interpol's blue list - which allows for the collection of information about a person's identity, location or activities - which had already resulted in him being taken into custody at a United States border crossing.

Mr Bethune spent five months in a Japanese jail after he was arrested when he boarded the Shonan Maru II in protest.

He was given a two-year suspended sentence and deported to New Zealand.

Before the sentence was passed, Sea Shepherd said Mr Bethune had no place with the organisation, but it later said this statement was a tactical move aimed at getting a lighter sentence.

Mr Bethune said the group lied and the stunt portrayed him as dishonest.

He was expelled from Japan because of a bow and arrow found on the ship, which he had permission to take on board, he said. Mr Watson denied this, saying he would not allow weapons.

- NZPA

I don't get why all the commotion about the boat sinking after the crash. They applied forward thrust before the crash. The question should be directed at why they didn't put it into reverse much sooner. They knew they were still in harms way during the whole scenario and that they were the most vulnerable boat on the battle field. They say they cut the engines and that they were dead in the water but if you watch the wash at the stern it tells a whole different story than what is portrayed by the whale wars team.
Pete Bethune Says Sea Shepherd Deliberately Sunk Its Own Ship to 'Garner Sympathy' : TreeHugger

Back
Top Bottom