Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And thats unlikely exactly WHY? Its not like SS dont have a history of pulling stunts like that..
My only point was that even if Watson had sent the Ady Gil on a useless mission to crash into the SM2 - 14tons of Carbon Fiber vessel vs. 591tons of Steel vessel - he'd know what the outcome would be. Even he's not going to risk the life of 6 crew members doing so when it's likely the captain could've done that solo - as well as be prepared to jump off and be rescued - which didn't exactly seem like it happened, if anything everyone I saw on the Ady Gil looked a little disorganized post crash.

No sarcasm, no irony intended. Maybe that didn't come across well.

Due to its speed capabilities, up to 50 knots, Captain Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd President and Founder) will use the Ady Gil to intercept and physically block the harpoon ships from illegally slaughtering whales.
Hoisted by his own petard.
To your point, I don't believe that meant ramming into them so much as inserting itself between the whale and the harpoon. Both Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd have done that with Zodiacs in the past. Simple logic would seem to indicate that uselessly crashing a $2M boat into the whaling ship would be one of the least productive means of accomplishing this.

Australian Deputy Prime Minister (Acting PM) Julia Gillard has said there will be an investigation. The Ady Gil was registered in New Zealand.

The whaling is conducted in international waters, but usually within the huge patch of ocean that is designated as Australia’s maritime rescue zone and that Canberra considers a whale sanctuary. But rules governing Antarctica are not clear cut. There is provision in Japanese law for claims involving Japanese registered ships in international waters (Article 166(1) of the Japanese Civil Code).

Apparently the Japanese have stated that a miscalculation on their part caused the collision.

Lethbridge Herald - Conservation group searches for Japanese whaler by helicopter in efforts to stop the hunt

Australian Deputy Prime Minister (Acting PM) Julia Gillard has said there will be an investigation. The Ady Gil was registered in New Zealand.

The whaling is conducted in international waters, but usually within the huge patch of ocean that is designated as Australia’s maritime rescue zone and that Canberra considers a whale sanctuary. But rules governing Antarctica are not clear cut. There is provision in Japanese law for claims involving Japanese registered ships in international waters (Article 166(1) of the Japanese Civil Code).

Apparently the Japanese have stated that a miscalculation on their part caused the collision.

Lethbridge Herald - Conservation group searches for Japanese whaler by helicopter in efforts to stop the hunt

No jurisdictional clarity means some agreements need to be made soon or we'll be discussing deaths at sea here shortly. War indeed.

I think you gave the Japanese too much credit; their use of "their" in that statement looks to be aimed at SS.

lethbridgeherald.com:
Sea Shepherd says the Ady Gil was sitting idle and the whaler deliberately rammed it. Japan says the activists’ boat was moving toward its ship and a miscalculation on their part caused the collision. Neither side’s version — which happened near Commonwealth Bay about 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometres) south of Australia — could be independently verified.

lethbridgeherald.com:
Australia and New Zealand, the closest nations to the latest confrontation, announced investigations Thursday into the crash.

I've already asked that twice now...

Perhaps if you had searched instead of just asking you could have been the one who told us.

lethbridgeherald.com:
Written by Rohan Sullivan THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Friday, 08 January 2010

Perhaps if you had searched instead of just asking you could have been the one who told us.
When making a claim (such as a supposed investigation) the burden is on the party making the claim to provide evidence to support their claim. So both you and DCBC made claims of a supposed investigation and it was on you to provide such evidence that an investigation would take place.

Now the question comes if Australia has any legal right to investigate the incident and to try and enforce any findings of that investigation. AFAIK their claim to the waters aren't internationally recognized and neither ship are registered in that country.

When making a claim (such as a supposed investigation) the burden is on the party making the claim to provide evidence to support their claim. So both you and DCBC made claims of a supposed investigation and it was on you to provide such evidence that an investigation would take place.

I don't see how I have to do anything due to anything you type here. I typed "we will see when the report is issued" or something to that effect. It is reasonable to expect an investigation in this incident. IMHO, your challenge of that statement, and DCBC's similar statement was not reasonable except if pouring more gas on an already flaming thread is considered reasonable. :shakehead:

Interesting. Sounds sort of like lip service though. "We're gonna investigate, but we're not really sure who would be responsible for enforcing any findings."

No. You'd have to come over. I have some in my freezer. I also have some 80 lbs of moose, a whole deer I shot least year, 110 large scallops I picked from the ocean floor, some deliscious monk fish is still left, and of course a lot of wild mushrooms and berries we pick every fall. Not quite the average L.A. menu on the weekly basis around here...

If I ever get a chance to go to Norway I'll be coming over for dinner! :)

My only point was that even if Watson had sent the Ady Gil on a useless mission to crash into the SM2 - 14tons of Carbon Fiber vessel vs. 591tons of Steel vessel - he'd know what the outcome would be. Even he's not going to risk the life of 6 crew members doing so when it's likely the captain could've done that solo - as well as be prepared to jump off and be rescued - which didn't exactly seem like it happened, if anything everyone I saw on the Ady Gil looked a little disorganized post crash.

No sarcasm, no irony intended. Maybe that didn't come across well.

To your point, I don't believe that meant ramming into them so much as inserting itself between the whale and the harpoon. Both Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd have done that with Zodiacs in the past. Simple logic would seem to indicate that uselessly crashing a $2M boat into the whaling ship would be one of the least productive means of accomplishing this.
Sea Sheperd has a history of ramming and intentionally try to sink other boats as well as endangering both themselves and others. This episode dont make me think they have "changed their ways".
Heck, if they stopped putting people in danger theid lose their tv show and god knows how much funding..
And yeah, I DO think Paul Watson is smart enough to know what the outcome might be and I dont think he gives a flying f¤&% because hell consider it martyrdom if SS crew dies and a victory if whalers die!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom