Breaking news: Alabama student drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
during scuba classes...Was reported tonite on Birmingham's ABC station... 33/40...I checked their online site & nothing reported yet......Wording on 10 PM TV news was "Bama student dies in student aquatic center....scuba class...14 foot deep olympic pool."....Also said it was under investigation.........Certainly more will be out later??.......

Frm the looks of it the Bammer Administration is not releasing much information until their investigation is complete.

jdcpa:
Bammer????

University of Alabama is often referred to as "Bama". (or rural redneck pronuciation of "Bammerrrrrr").

BAMA is pretty well know. "Go BAMA" is one of their war-crys at the university sporting event

for example:
08.Jeana_on_bars_equals_GO_BAMA.jpg

Bammer is an affectionate term for the University of Alabama and all that goes with it. Nothing rural or redneck about it. Although their colors are red and white.

As a person I am sad that someone has lost their life. Sadder even for his family and friends that must deal with his absence.

As an instructor I am interested in what happened so that I might learn from his misfortune and possibly prevent it from happening to someone else.

Of course there is an investigation into the death - and the administration is smart in determining what happened so they will release the truth and not some speculation.

For now - we just keep him and his loved ones in our thoughts and prayers.

mike_s:
University of Alabama is often referred to as "Bama". (or rural redneck pronuciation of "Bammerrrrrr").

BAMA is pretty well know. "Go BAMA" is one of their war-crys at the university sporting event

for example:
08.Jeana_on_bars_equals_GO_BAMA.jpg

My condolences to the family -- what an awful incident. Having done my beginning training in a similar university program, I certainly took for granted the safety of the pool. In ANY water, in ANY depth, there is always a chance for a freak accident. Respect the water at all times...

Published Thursday, April 19, 2007
Cause of UA student’s death still uncertain

By Stephanie Taylor and Jamon Smith Staff Writers

TUSCALOOSA

Officials are still unsure how a 21-year-old University of Alabama student in a beginning scuba class died at the Aquatic Center on Tuesday.

Zachary Moore, 21, whose family lives in Bay Minette, died at about 2 p.m. Tuesday. He was a junior pre-business major and a member of the Theta Chi fraternity.

“We will know more once the cause of death is determined," said UA spokeswoman Cathy Andreen. “There is no reason to suspect this is anything other than a tragedy."

A student who said he was in the class and declined to give his name at a near-campus convenience store Tuesday night said that the class had been diving in a part of the pool that is 20 feet deep.

Moore returned to the surface of the water too fast, fatally damaging his lungs, the student said.

Moore is the second member of UA’s Delta Chi fraternity to die in an apparent accident in less than eight months.

Nineteen-year-old Jamie Echols died in September after taking a high dose of the prescription drug fentanyl.

Another member of the fraternity, Christopher Skelton, 20, was charged with murder in December for allegedly providing stolen prescription drugs that caused Echols’ death.

At the time of Echols’ death, the university issued a written statement of condolence. On Wednesday, Tom Strong, associate vice president for student affairs issued a similarly worded statement expressing sorrow at Moore’s death.

“When students come to the University of Alabama, they become members of a large family," the statement said. “Today we are grieving the loss of a member of our family. Our thoughts and prayers are with Zachary’s parents, family and friends."

Back
Top Bottom