• brass

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • stainless steel

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvas

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering... here in israel they are selling only brass... but I see online mostly stainless...

what do you use?

sasha

SS Clips are cheap when you consider the value to the system that they offer. Get a couple different sizes for warm vs cold diving conditions...also some double enders. You cannot own too many clips (notice I did not say that you cannot have too many clips on your rig).

WreckWriter once bubbled...
use stainless. Even if you have to order them.

Tom

I have a myriad of SS bolt snaps...some from Reef Scuba, some from an LDS, some from FifthD, and a couple from EE. Some of mine work really smoothly and some don't...some have a little rust on them and some don't. Since I can't remember for the life of me which ones I got where, which places have you had really good SS bolt snaps from?

I use both brass and SS. Have no problems with either, unless I slip up and let one sit without cleaning and oiling after a trip.
Rick

O-ring once bubbled...
I have a myriad of SS bolt snaps...some from Reef Scuba, some from an LDS, some from FifthD, and a couple from EE. Some of mine work really smoothly and some don't...some have a little rust on them and some don't. Since I can't remember for the life of me which ones I got where, which places have you had really good SS bolt snaps from?

I get all mine from my LDS. Chances are they use the same supplier as FifthD does.

Tom

I use both brass and SS. Have no problems with either, unless I slip up and let one sit without cleaning and oiling after a trip.

I knew there was something I should have been doing to them instead of just rinsing...

:monkey:

I use both, but mostly brass, and I dive in very fresh water. The brass one's have treated me well with no maintenance at all.

Mike

I don't oil mine. When I rinse them I move the lever back and forth a few times while in the rinse tank, that's all.

Tom

O-ring once bubbled...

I knew there was something I should have been doing to them instead of just rinsing...

:monkey:
After every dive I rinse 'em. After every trip I rinse 'em, inspect 'em, clean if necessary and give 'em a light WD40 wipedown and a tiny little spray on the spring. If it's going to be awhile until my next trip with that bolt snap, then my routine is to take 'em off whatever they're attached to, then a rinse followed by a hot vinegar bath and soak for about 15 minutes, a hot fresh water rinse, drying and oiling before storage. I don't reattach at this time, as I like to use rubber breakaways cut from bicycle innertubes and if they're stored assembled the rubber tends to deteriorate. Doesn't take as long as it sounds, and I have many snaps both brass and steel that are over a decade old and still working fine.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom