Brand New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried saving a little money by buying used off ebay at first. Bought a BCD that sounded good, looked good - even did some research on it. When I got it I could self inflate it no problems and it would hold air - everything seemed great until I took it to my LDS for inspection. First time they hooked it up to LPI and inflated it the bladder burst.
After that I felt it would be prudent to shop around for good NEW gear. Found a nice weight-integrated Cressi BCD for $240 and a complete Sea-Elite Reg set for $225. I did my research, read all the reviews and got the best new gear I could afford.

It's been my experience that a BPW is not for new divers, it's something that divers evolve into over time as they develop skills. It's also my understanding that a BPW is going to cost a heck of a lot more than a basic weight integrated BCD by the time you're done putting it altogether and adding the basics to it.

In my area, most centers train OWD with a BPW setup. Many people think it is easier to learn correct trim and balance with a BPW set. This may have something to do with diving in drysuits. Did my open water diver and aowd in drysuit with a Halcyon BPW. Haven't felt lagging in skills development and don't feel like switching to a jacket BCD.

Howdy,welcome, congratulations, and good luck from southeast florida....slow down, relax and enjoy the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom