Brand Advice for BCD/Regulators/Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all,
I'm new to scuba, just finished my open water this past weekend. I am mostly just looking for brand advice (recommended brands, ones to avoid, etc.) for BCD/Regulator/Tank/Computer selection. My open water was conducted with a Zeagle back-style BCD, a Mares Regulator (and then Scubapro when the Mares started free-flowing during my first actual non-pool dive), and (I think) a Mares 3 gauge SPG. Any thoughts on what brands stand out? I intend to stay recreational and have already planned enough use to argue for buying my own equipment.

(Side question, eardrums being sore is normal or at least not a concern right? I unfortunately had an instructor that didn't really explain equalizing well in the classroom, and as a result I didn't get it right at the pool. I figured out a backup method in Toynbee, but this only worked as long as I was able to swallow "something" whether it be a tidbit of water or my own saliva. At 40ft on my open water checkout my ears were feeling the pressure (no pain, just mild discomfort), but I was able to keep ascending 5ft and getting Toynbee to work. But I also brought a lot of water back up on-deck in my ears. XD)

I use this gadget called pro ears. It’s essentially a mask with ear cups. It keeps your ears completely dry and to equalize you just blow in the mask and it goes to the tubes. I had to drop out of the open water class the first time I took it because my ear pain was so bad. This is the only way I was able to kit through the open water class a second time.

The local dive shop I believe sells mostly Mares and Atomic regulators. I'm actually stopping by tomorrow to grab my Open Water card (yay) and to sign up for a Nitrox class.
If you want to save money, the Mares 15X first stage with either the Prestige/Rover (same second with different covers) or Dual seconds will work great for any type of recreational diving. This is what my son dives. There is no point in paying extra for Mares second stages with adjustments, they were originally designed to not require them and they were only added as marketing gimmicks. If they have a package with a 52X first stage and the same seconds for under a $100 more, it would be worth thinking about as well.

Atomic Aquatics makes premium regs at premium prices. The least expensive Atomics that is comparable to the inherently sealed Mares balanced diaphragm firsts is the Z2 Sealed. This will be a couple hundred more than the Mares. Both Mares and Atomic have similar service intervals and warranties.

There really isn't a need to go more expensive than this for regs unless you are anticipating diving in extremely cold water, as in under 40 degrees cold.

BTW, you mentioned that your Mares freeflowed. What exactly happened? It's actually normal for a reg that's not in your mouth to freeflow if you put it into the water with the mouthpiece up. To stop it, flip it over or put your finger over the mouthpiece for a second.

Couple of small things - rigid snorkels can be replaced by the folding variety and they do have their place in choppy sea waiting for the boat.

Torch - looking under rocks may well become a part of your diving. Slowing right down and looking under rocks means you get to see stuff.

Good luck with progressing, anyway. You'll tailor your gear to the type of diving you do, which is what matters in the end.

Buy second hand and save a fortune.

Factor in a regulator service.

A BCD is a bag of air. Don't buy new.

What style Zeagle BC were you using? I just bought a Zeagle Ranger which is noted for being bulky and yes I agree with you about the weight pockets. As far as the Zeagle Ranger size and bulkiness, the review I read reported the Ranger not good for traveling because of its size. Previously I owned an Aqualung Axiom BC that equally bulky so I thought I would give the Zeagle Ranger a try. Another reason I chose the Ranger over the Stiletto model is because the Stiletto doesn't provide the lift I need for cold water diving.

I also have trouble with my ears, my doctor prescribed generic Flonase that opens swollen nasal cavity thereby allowing water trapped behind my eardrum to drain. I'm not a doctor and everybody is different.

I wasn't impressed with the Zeagle BCD, I despised the weight pockets being so far behind and overall it felt a tad clunky.
Interesting. I use a Zeagle Stiletto. The weight pockets are perhaps a little farther back than some others, but I haven’t that to affect me at all. The Stiletto is fairly streamlined, so I wouldn’t call it clunky. Fit is important with these, and it’s possible the shop sizes aren’t exactly your size. When I bought mine, the shop swapped out the shoulder section from M to L.

My initial idea was to rent a Mares "adjustable" regulator (control the amount of suck to get air, I think the one I used was rigid and I found myself guzzling air due to not being completely relaxed with the amount of pressure I had to use to suck air in)
That’s not a bad idea. Adjustable regs are great. However, don’t be surprised if it doesn’t help your air consumption right away. Air consumption generally goes down as you get more experience and relax a bit. But, it sounds like the reg you see may have been tuned on the heavier side. That’s not uncommon for shop gear as it reduces free flow. At least it sounded like that until you mentioned the free flow on the second dive.

I have a somewhat hardset budget, but at the same time I have no interest in compromising on safety. My initial plan was to invest in a very solid SPG that could function as a computer, and at a later date double up on a wrist computer.
This is probably a terminology issue, but there is no SPG in the world that can function as a computer. I think you mean a console. You can get a console with a computer or without. If it just has a depth gauge, a watch will also be needed. However, for a newer diver, a computer will be safer. Wrist vs. console is mostly personal preference. It’s quite common for a diver to go console first, then wrist, but it seems to be rare the other way. And even rarer for a diver to go back to console.

BTW, you mentioned that your Mares freeflowed. What exactly happened? It's actually normal for a reg that's not in your mouth to freeflow if you put it into the water with the mouthpiece up. To stop it, flip it over or put your finger over the mouthpiece for a second.
As soon as I hit the water, the octopus just started spraying air and water everywhere. My instructor tried a few things, then just shrugged and looped it through the waist strap facing down and told me to keep an eye on it. He tightened the octopus back at the shop later.

Buy second hand and save a fortune.

Factor in a regulator service.
Is this safe? I feel like for regulator at least it shouldn't be buying second hand?

Atomic Aquatics makes premium regs at premium prices. The least expensive Atomics that is comparable to the inherently sealed Mares balanced diaphragm firsts is the Z2 Sealed. This will be a couple hundred more than the Mares. Both Mares and Atomic have similar service intervals and warranties.
So Mares and Atomic will not be very different to a new diver as myself? I wanted to test out a few Mares in the pool to see if they work, and perhaps buy the regulator as a combo bundle of the same brand (to avoid complexity of mixing brands, unless the shop would be able to simplify this concept). The main reason I wanted to go adjustable on the primary second stage was to allow me to try to "relax" more and calm the "oh god I gotta suck harder" thoughts that fly through my head, I'm unsure how to "breathe calmer and shallower" when I have to use "more suck."

What style Zeagle BC were you using? I just bought a Zeagle Ranger which is noted for being bulky and yes I agree with you about the weight pockets. As far as the Zeagle Ranger size and bulkiness, the review I read reported the Ranger not good for traveling because of its size. Previously I owned an Aqualung Axiom BC that equally bulky so I thought I would give the Zeagle Ranger a try. Another reason I chose the Ranger over the Stiletto model is because the Stiletto doesn't provide the lift I need for cold water diving.
It wasn't a Ranger or Stiletto I can say that much. I didn't ask beyond brand, but the shoulder straps were incredibly uncomfortable and the thing felt like a pair of too-tight jeans around my waist no matter how I tried to manage it.

This is probably a terminology issue, but there is no SPG in the world that can function as a computer. I think you mean a console. You can get a console with a computer or without. If it just has a depth gauge, a watch will also be needed. However, for a newer diver, a computer will be safer. Wrist vs. console is mostly personal preference. It’s quite common for a diver to go console first, then wrist, but it seems to be rare the other way. And even rarer for a diver to go back to console.
Yeah my bad, thought the 3 gauge SPG would still be regarded as a "computer" instead of a console. A lot of the online shops put SPGs into the computer section so I made a mental assumption. I kept seeing nearly 4 digit price tags on the wrist computers and my friend told me he just dives with a Scubapro 3-gauge SPG and it does the trick fine. I do see myself at some point moving over to wrist, but I wanted to just aim straight for a reliable and safe pick as soon as I budget aside for it. Heck, I could also just wait for some crazy markdown sale if I narrow my wrist computer search down.

Again, I certed with SDI and they teach to "do everything with your computer in your hand at all times" so I'd like to make sure at some point I "double up" on that in case something fails. My instructor focused primarily during my Open Water on emergency skills, so ironically I don't have any issues locating a reg knocked aside, un-flooding a mask, or performing an emergency ascent.

I should also add I have budgeted about 2.5k for all this equipment, so I have a little bit of space to work with. I anticipated spending the most on the reg set to make absolute sure it never fails on me. Also (I'm sure this is common knowledge) but I assume the idea is your primary reg is the one you spend a bit more money on, and your yellow octopus more or less just needs to be able to function for an emergency for myself or a buddy.

Tweaked my "equipment list" from the feedback so far :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 50
@SubNeo

Don’t cheap out on the octo. If there’s an emergency, would you want to be breathing off a crappy reg?

Tweaked my "equipment list" from the feedback so far :)

If you’re going to be diving local, two tanks are much better than one. Depending on where you dive, I wouldn’t count on being able to get a fill at lunch for your second dive. Two will get you a day’s diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom