Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our last trip we tipped the DM's that were of help to us, $60 ea. to two of the DM's and $40 for the boat driver. 7 days of 3tank. At the Brac reef they keep you on one boat all week. I would have tipped more but they would not take you to the requested dive sites that often. Oddly enough our afternoon dives were at some of the better sites. Coming off a liveaboard previous to our trip at the Brac, 2 dives a day didn't seem like enough diving. Next time if/when we go the Brac, 2 dives a day may be enough. Being on a liveabaord just makes it so much easier!

My questions...
Why aren't there any three tank days? Why don't they go to Little Cayman one or two more times per week? Why don't they listen to requested dive sites? Why would you go twice in one week to the dive site Atlantis? Why don't they dive more on the oposite end of the Island (east side)? Why aren't there more than one night dive per week? Why can't you switch boats if they are going to a dive site you want to dive? Why haven't they fixed the bouy at Strawberry Wall?

My questions...
Why aren't there any three tank days? Why don't they go to Little Cayman one or two more times per week? Why don't they listen to requested dive sites? Why would you go twice in one week to the dive site Atlantis? Why don't they dive more on the oposite end of the Island (east side)? Why aren't there more than one night dive per week? Why can't you switch boats if they are going to a dive site you want to dive? Why haven't they fixed the bouy at Strawberry Wall?[/QUOTE]

They did 3 dives/day everyday last week, even when there was just my husband and another guy on Saturday. Each boat went to Bloody Bay Wall once last week. There were 2 night dives last week, one with all 4 boats on Tues and one w/just 11 people on Thurs. Not sure on the duplicate dives, my husband had a couple because of the length of time and he was on a different boat a couple times. I don't think they want you switching boats because all your gear is set up for the particular boat you are on. They will switch it if necessary because your boat isn't going and another is. Not sure on the Strawberry Wall question.

And of course both Little Cayman and East end use more time, gas, and wear on the engines (=$).

Starting to pack, do we need bug spray? How dressy do they get at dinner--grungy shorts & t's or nicer?

Starting to pack, do we need bug spray? How dressy do they get at dinner--grungy shorts & t's or nicer?

I've only used repellant on two of our dozen-plus trips to the Brac, and you can buy it locally (at a premium).

Shorts and tees, but preferably not grungy, are OK at dinner.

Ok... here we go. Reef Divers crew do listen to the requested site for diving but at the same time there are somethings that determine where they go diving. Many times its visibility, current, maybe another boat had plans of going to that particular dive site.

Three tank a day packages are offered and readily happen. For the past three weeks we have been running boats in the afternoon with even just 2 people on the boat. But if the entire boat is set up on an AM only package, then unless there are 6 people willing to take the afternoon dive, the boat will not go. If there is another boat that week and maybe it is doing afternoon dives you can ask to be moved to that boat for the week or for the afternoon.

1 trip to Little Cayman is offered to those on a 6 day or more dive package. There have been times that groups do wish to go back to Little Cayman and if there is an agreement by the whole boat to pay the upgrade fee then the boat (weather permitting) can go back to Little Cayman. Also, again if there are other boats going that week and you would like to go back, then ask the crew if you can be moved for the additional trip (and fee).

All of the answers to these questions are very simply, you just have to ask. The one night dive a week thing might have been due to bad weather or not enough interests. The night dives are offered Tuesday and Thursday and will go weather permitting and 10 people signed up.

Diving Atlantis twice in one week (or your vacation trip) might be due to the start and end of your trip or someone elses trip. Many times we get certain groups in that we take to Atlantis like dive shop owners/operators and such. Atlantis is actually a very good dive with good reefs all around the statues.

We do offer bluff runs which allow for more diving on the East end of the Brac. Again this is an extended trip like Little Cayman but the upgrade is $10 per person. Also, this must be done with total agreement from the entire boat.

Also about swapping boats... most captains dont have a definite dive site in mind when they leave the dock. There is no guarantee that a boat will dive a certain site till they tie up and drop the hookah... so, yea, you can swap boats all you want with some prior notice but again there is no guarantee that you will be going to a particular site... if wthe captain can make it happen then they will but nothing is final till they get to the particular site.

Other than that things are great here on the Brac... water is warm and hitting about 84 consistently... most are in shorts and tshirts with a few in wetsuits but it is really warm with this time of year being our warmest weather and little wind. Other than that we are getting to dive the south side a bit more... winds are starting to come in from the North and the south is laying flat. One would want a wetsuit though for night diving due to sea wasps. Bug spray does help in the evening times... mosquitoes are here on the island but they try and spray for them very frequently. Dining hall is very casual. I have seen guys in wetsuits at lunch eating but majority do t shirts and shorts. Some dress up a bit for dinner but dont worry, plenty are still in shirts and shorts with flip flops.

For all of you looking at visiting the Brac I hope to see you soon... and hopefully I answered lots of questions. You can make reservations at 800-327-3835... TTYL

I should have said three tank dives, like going to Little Cayman or the Bluff with three tanks. I dove all week with 3 tank days. I have never seen them do 2 night dives per week, maybe I haven't been to the Brac Reef enough.

(gas & wear = $) makes sense, but this is a diving vacation....as in pre-paid diving and I didn't like it that we wasted 2 dives at the dive site Atlantis. It was within two days in the middle of the week, a Tues. & Thurs. That was my (and others) least favorite dive site.

I guess if you went with a group big enough to fill one boat then you might easily attain the request of the other divers to make another trip to Little Cayman or the Bluff, but when you go with just two people and there are newbies on board that have little expeience with diving, they aren't going to want to spend a few extra bucks.

I asked for particular dive sites like "Son of Rock Monster", "East Chute", "School Bus wall" and "Strawberry Wall"....we visited exactly "0" of those! So "just asking" isn't how we were treated.

I love the Brac and am dissapointed that there are only a couple ops to choose from and only one dive resort.
the Brac Reef being reasonable in price for dive rates but not listening to dive site suggestions. The other op "Craig" will listen to dive site suggestions but is not charging a reasonble rate for diving.

I should have said three tank dives, like going to Little Cayman or the Bluff with three tanks.

3-tankers to LC used to be done many years ago, but with the advent of more resorts on Little Cayman in the mid-1990s, the increased competition for moorings on Little Cayman resulted in utilization rules that resulted in the effective abolishment of the opportunity. Technically, it could still be done during the off season, but then customers would want the same thing during the peak season.

(gas & wear = $) makes sense, but this is a diving vacation....as in pre-paid diving and I didn't like it that we wasted 2 dives at the dive site Atlantis...I guess if you went with a group big enough to fill one boat then you might easily attain the request of the other divers to make another trip to Little Cayman or the Bluff, but when you go with just two people and there are newbies on board that have little expeience with diving, they aren't going to want to spend a few extra bucks.

The essence of the problem is effectively of how to keep everything "fair" when one person can veto a second trip, and this issue becomes accentuated during the slow season when there's just a few boats running, so the person who doesn't want to go can't easily jump ship.

In similar situations (eg: Divi), if they had but a "single" not interested, they would sometimes waive the payment of the upgrade free for that individual. While this can be abused, it is a fair deal particularly when the accomodation allows the Dive Op from running two boats (local & LC) because of they're able to combine to just one (LC). Unfortunately, with the higher fuel costs, it has become much more common to have one full boat rather than two half-full ones.

Personally, having been to the Brac & LC a lot, I generally "accept" additional LC trips when the other customers on the boat are interested in going...I don't want to ruin them from having a good time. However, I would appreciate it if I didn't get charged full freight for every single time that I concede.

I asked for particular dive sites like "Son of Rock Monster", "East Chute", "School Bus wall" and "Strawberry Wall"....we visited exactly "0" of those! So "just asking" isn't how we were treated.

Hmm. Its hard to say for sure without knowing more, but I can see a few possible explanations. One is that all (except East Chute) can be considered more Advanced dives, so if there were a few weak customers onboard during your particular week, these may have gotten quietly passed by...particularly since you also mentioned going to Atlantis twice in one week. Or, all (except Rock Monster) are Northside, and the weather for this time of year tends to shift to allow southside walls, which have been unavailable all summer, so it could be weather, or simply that the staff was interested in seeing the southside for a change of pace. Finally, Rock Monster is far enough up-island that it is a traditional area for a Bluff Run, so it could have been nixed either on cost or weather. As I said, its hard to pin down exactly why certain things occur.

I love the Brac and am dissapointed that there are only a couple ops to choose from and only one dive resort.

Unfortunately, the situation's unlikely to change until airlift is improved, because it is strangling the island's tourism development opportunities.

-hh

Generally, you don't need bug spray around the resort. You will need it if you go exploring off in the forest (Parrot Reserve trail, etc).

For dinner, clean shorts & T's are common; we generally upgrade to a Polo shirt & shorts. There will be some more dressed-up Braccers who will come by on Sundays.

-hh

PS: we'll be arriving on the 13th for diving & meals; staying up at the Tiara timeshares.

Back
Top Bottom