Brac to MIA Cayman Airways questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking of booking our first trip to Cayman Brac and have some questions about flying from Cayman Brac to Miami for those with experience.

My understanding is that the 6:05 AM Saturday flight stops in GCM on the way from Brac but then continues direct to Miami, that's why there is only one flight number.

KX 102 Cayman Airways CYB Dec 09 06:05 AM MIA Dec 09 08:40 AM 1 (GCM) 737

What is the procedure when you land in GCM? I thought the flight had to stop at GCM since Brac doesn't have proper security for a direct flight to the US. So does this mean in GCM you leave the plane and go through security? What about luggage, both checked and carry on?

What about this set of flights offered by Cayman Airways?

KX 123 Cayman Airways CYB Dec 09 12:20 PM GCM Dec 09 12:55 PM 0 737
KX 104 Cayman Airways GCM Dec 09 01:40 PM MIA Dec 09 03:10 PM 0 737

That's only 45 minutes to connect to the flight to Miami. Is that possible? What security do you have to go through for connecting flights?

I'm trying to stay on the 737 since I carry on about 45 pounds of camera gear, plus the Cayman Airways direct flight from Miami to Brac is appealing, so I am trying to return via Cayman Airways also.

Any help understanding how the flights work is appreciated.

I am aware that there are some direct, non-stop flights from Miami to Brac being offered but I have never used one. Probably because we haven't traveled there during the winter high season when more flights are available, and also because we usually spend some time on Grand Cayman before heading over to the sister islands.

Most flights to the Cayman sister islands of Brac and Little Cayman force you to land at GCM, both coming and going, to send you through immigration, customs, and security. But the Brac airport is larger than Little Cayman and it can accept jets, and I think that they could probably bypass GC and handle the necessary functions if they are staffed for it during the busier season.

If you can find a direct flight and skip GCM then take it coming or going or both! The interisland transit procedure has always been cumbersome at GCM and I hear that it has gotten even more convoluted and crowded because the airport is undergoing extensive renovation and expansion.

The typical process is this - when you first arrive on Grand Cayman you will have to go through customs and immigration and then check in for CB. It can take a long time to get through C&I if several other planes land around the same time. They do provide free carts in baggage claim before you go through customs.

After you exit C&I on GC, you roll your luggage cart outside and immediately turn left to enter the airport ticket lobby. You then check your bags for CB and you will have to go through security (without a cart) to get to the departure lounge to board your flight to CB. There can be long lines to get through security especially on Saturday and Sunday and during the high season. After you get through security - before you reach the departure lounge - they will try to direct you to the exit C&I for folks leaving the country, but show your boarding pass and tell them that you are going to Brac and they will waive you through.

If you purchased any duty-free liquor (or other liquids/gels) at your local airport - you will NOT be able to take it through security (even if it is sealed and labeled as duty free) because it is greater than 3 oz., so wrap it well and put it inside your checked bags before you re-check them. You cannot buy any duty-free liquor in the GCM departure lounge if you are traveling to another Cayman island.

On the trip home, when you land on GC from CB they will try to herd you into the long incoming arrival line for Customs and Immigration with people who are just coming into the country, so get into the line for arriving locals and tell them they you just returned from CB and are connecting to your home flight.

The Immigration officer should waive you through so you can pick up your luggage and head out the door. Tell the Customs agent that you are arriving from CB on your trip home and he/she should also waive you through. Go out the door, turn left, go into the ticket lobby and check in for your home flight(s).

You will then have to go through security and exit customs and immigration to get to the departure lounge to board your flight home.

A direct flight from Miami to Brac and back would be much nicer.

Last edited:
There is a direct flight (Cayman Airways) from MIA to Brac. It departs about 11am. We used that flight in July. The return flight is the 737 that leaves Brac at about 6am, stops in Grand and continues to MIA.

There is a direct flight (Cayman Airways) from MIA to Brac. It departs about 11am. We used that flight in July. The return flight is the 737 that leaves Brac at about 6am, stops in Grand and continues to MIA.
What was the process when you stopped in Grand Cayman? Did you stay on the plane? Go through security?

When you are planning your flights remember to include the wait to fly rule in your calculations. They are applicable to all the commercial flights from Brac no matter which aircraft or where you stop - and the jet leaves Brac very early.

Process was - checked bags in Brac. In GCM, got off plane and went thru security. They scan your carry-ons. You do not reclaim your checked bags. They stay on the plane. Then you get back on plane for leg to MIA.

Process was - checked bags in Brac. In GCM, got off plane and went thru security. They scan your carry-ons. You do not reclaim your checked bags. They stay on the plane. Then you get back on plane for leg to MIA.

That's a nice option! Reclaiming your checked bags and rechecking them on GC is a pain, IMO!

OP, can you use a roller bag for your heavy camera equipment?

Last edited:
That's a nice option! Reclaiming your checked bags and rechecking them on GC is a pain!

OP, can you use a roller bag for your heavy camera equipment?

I carry a large checked bag for my scuba gear. I have a small roller bag for camera equipment that hold my ports, strobes, housing etc. it goes in the over head bin. I have a small back pack with camera body and lenses. It goes under the seat in front of me. Going through security at Grand, they never show interest in my back pack but sometimes they become entranced in my housing, ports and what not. TSA gets mesmerized by them too. Once the security guy at Grand carefully examined everything for about 30 minutes. My wife went to the gate and Cayman Air just delayed the departure while the security guy had his way with my camera gear. Usually, the examination is perfunctory. I open it up. They look in. Swab it. And I shut it up. About 5 minutes tops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom